VirtualTV - any trick to restart a channel without the others?

buhochileno

buhochileno

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share that I have been successfully using the plugin for several months now, with 2 channels: one for movies (random selection from my collection, no filters) and the other for TV shows.

After about 4 months of working perfectly, I noticed a couple of weeks ago that the movie channel no longer has any programming. There haven't been any new movies scheduled for this channel for quite some time.

On the other hand, the TV show channel is still working flawlessly, with seasons progressing without repeating episodes, and so I would like to keep this channel intact.

I am aware that the plugin's description states that individual channel "restart" is a missing feature, but I wonder if any experienced users have any tricks or suggestions that I could try. Perhaps there's something I can do with a file, like searching and replacing some dates in it, so that at least it could repeat the last schedule?

Does anyone have any experience or advice regarding this issue? I apologize if I'm duplicating the topic; please point me in the right direction if it has already been discussed elsewhere.

Thanks and best regards!

Mauricio

buhochileno

..so sorry, I was thinking that was in a specific forum for the plugin....I mean VirtualTV plugin...

thanks

pünktchen

What is the version of your plugin and Emby server? Also please provide some more insights about the rules for your movie channel.

buhochileno

emby server version 4.7.6.0, VirtualTV plugin version 1.1.2.0,

channel primetime: 4pm

channel setting are: playlist (live)

..some media folders selected all with just movies

Content type: Movies

Watched & unwatched

Random movies

Movies count: 1

That's it, no channel rules...on the selected folders there are about 3.000 movies so I don't think it select all of them in the already played playlist, but I would not mind to restart the channel even with the same initial selection or wherever as long it dosn't restart my second channel for tvshows..

As I mention the movie channel was working until a couple of weeks ago, no more schedule for that channel anymore..the tvshow one keep working, both start at the same time like 3 or so months ago..

thanks

pünktchen

First, if this is really a movie only channel then you should set this as content type instead of mixed. Secondly and really important, you need at least one rule! That could be "Release date newer than: 1900" or "Always include these named movies: *".

buhochileno

..yes I do have a "1950" for "*Release Date equal or newer than (YYYY):" option , forget to mention...as I mention it was working..

looking at the guide.xml file, it seems that the tvshows are schedule up to some point next november (is the last date I could find inside the file for the tvchannel id), as for the movies channel indeed the last scheduled movie was like 3 weeks ago, I copy the <programme .. tags sections related to the movie channel and carefully replace the dates over the same scheduled movies but to start in a couple of days.. (like replacing <programme start="202303091634" stop="202303091804" ..for <programme start="202307091634" stop="202307091804" so it should be schedule for this month in a couple of days)...but after restarting emby the date revert to 20230309 and therefore no more schedule for that channel....

(I make backups of all files before make changes and the tvshow channel keep working so I didn't screw completely the xml file..)

any suggestions...

thanks!

pünktchen

Silly question: you are running the refresh guide task at a regular interval?

buhochileno

...last time I run the refresh guide it restart my tvshows channel (tvshows went back to seasons where there was "unwatched" episoded instead of keep moving forward), I trying to avoid that....

pünktchen
On 7/4/2023 at 4:17 PM, buhochileno said:

...last time I run the refresh guide it restart my tvshows channel (tvshows went back to seasons where there was "unwatched" episoded instead of keep moving forward), I trying to avoid that....

No guide refresh, no new data for your movie channel! To give you a better answer in relation to your tv shows channel, some questions: Why are there still unwatched episodes in earlier seasons? Did you skip them intentionally? Also is the Emby user that you are using in the plugin settings the same who is watching the channels later?

buhochileno

sorry I don't follow,...do I need to refresh the guide or not?, and if I do it will it restart all the channels right?...

My TvShows channel DO NOT have any problem, it keep working as expected, I just want to know if there is any trick so I can have new (or repeated) movie schedule for the MOVIE channel that currently run out of scheduled movies..

As for the TvShows channel settings, is a Playlist (live), content type tvshows, random series, ordered episodes, I use a "tvallchannels" tag for the tvshows that I want, Min and Max count set to 1 and "Unwatched" only...most series are in season 4 or 5 now, in some of them I do watch some of the episodes, others don't (but not skip, just don't watch them or watching something else from the library)...if I remember correctly, last time I run a "refresh guide", the tvchannel went back to unwatched episodes from previous seasons no matter the current season...

not really sure if adding info about the tvchannel help to reset the movie one...

thanks!!

pünktchen
9 hours ago, buhochileno said:

do I need to refresh the guide or not?, and if I do it will it restart all the channels right?

Yes and yes.

I just want to know if there is any trick so I can have new (or repeated) movie schedule for the MOVIE channel that currently run out of scheduled movies

There's no trick.

last time I run a "refresh guide", the tvchannel went back to unwatched episodes from previous seasons no matter the current season

Yes, that how it works. If you would use different users for the channel configuation and for watching the channels, you could at least always manually mark episodes as watched for the "config user" without altering the watched state for the "playback user". On the other hand, the "playback user" can sync his playback progress to the "config user".

buhochileno

...damn, ok thanks...so my guess is that I have no chances to make a parser work to generate new guide.xml files?...I was thinking to write a simple sheet interface to help setting up tvshows days/time and then parse all to the current guide.xml format....

pünktchen

What guide.xml? If you are talking about the (optional) exported guide.xml, that is of no use for Emby. That is just an output to use in other applications, for example Kodi.