Random red/blue dots on video

dougw03

dougw03

I am experiencing a very random issue with scattering red and blue dots appearing all over my screen playing videos in Emby. This doesn't happen in any other apps I use and occurs when playing both SDR and HDR content in Emby. Sometimes if I play certain movies the dots will go away but then they will always come back. The brief video I uploaded is a dolby atmos/vision demo video. I then tried playing an HDR movie and the dots went away. Restarting my client (NVIDIA shield TV) doesn't fix the issue. Any ideas what could be causing this?

My setup is as follows:

Emby Server: Synology DSM 7.1 v4.7.13.0

Emby Client: NVIDIA Shield TV 2019

TV: LG OLED G2

Edited by dougw03

dougw03

Yes I will use the sideloaded app and keep you posted. I can't seem to glean what causes the dots to appear, but will report back if they come back.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
dougw03

Hi @LukeI've been using the mobile app for about two weeks now and watched probably around 7-10 movies/TV and no red/blue dots. Any idea what might be the culprit here?

4 hours ago, dougw03 said:

Hi @LukeI've been using the mobile app for about two weeks now and watched probably around 7-10 movies/TV and no red/blue dots. Any idea what might be the culprit here?

No but glad to hear it. We are working on getting the standard app into the store for TV devices. Thanks.

• Agree 1

dougw03

Got it. Is there a rough ETA on when to expect this will release? I'm going to need to set a mental reminder to switch back to the standard Android TV app at some point

On 7/15/2023 at 8:35 PM, dougw03 said:

Got it. Is there a rough ETA on when to expect this will release? I'm going to need to set a mental reminder to switch back to the standard Android TV app at some point

Hi, no eta but we're working hard on it. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2023 at 8:05 PM, Luke said:

Hi, no eta but we're working hard on it. 

Hi @Luke, I noticed there have been recent releases of Emby for Android TV. I am still using the sideloaded app from ~2 months ago. Is the standard app now available?

Edited by dougw03

On 9/16/2023 at 4:42 PM, dougw03 said:

Hi @Luke, I noticed there have been recent releases of Emby for Android TV. I am still using the sideloaded app from ~2 months ago. Is the standard app now available?

Not yet in the store but a newer build for it is available for sideload.

• 2 months later...
dougw03

@Lukeany updates on a new android TV app? The mobile app UI is extremely bright on my OLED TV when watching HDR content. I'd really like to go back to the Android TV app.

42 minutes ago, dougw03 said:

@Lukeany updates on a new android TV app? The mobile app UI is extremely bright on my OLED TV when watching HDR content. I'd really like to go back to the Android TV app.

hi, where do you think it's too bright?

dougw03

Thanks Luke. BTW I've noticed a few other bugs with the mobile app running on Android TV. For example, when I try to resume playing from the Google TV homescreen, it never goes to the proper content. I can take a stab at documenting the other bugs, but I wanted to ask at this point is there any chance your team can look into the red/blue dot issue so I can go back to the Android TV version of the app? It's been 5 months and seems like there's no line of sight to a converged Android/Android TV app. Aside from the red/blue dot issue, everything worked fine with the ATV app.

1 hour ago, dougw03 said:

Thanks Luke. BTW I've noticed a few other bugs with the mobile app running on Android TV. For example, when I try to resume playing from the Google TV homescreen, it never goes to the proper content. I can take a stab at documenting the other bugs, but I wanted to ask at this point is there any chance your team can look into the red/blue dot issue so I can go back to the Android TV version of the app? It's been 5 months and seems like there's no line of sight to a converged Android/Android TV app. Aside from the red/blue dot issue, everything worked fine with the ATV app.

What other issues did you have?

3 hours ago, dougw03 said:

Hi.  Have you tested with the latest version of the TV app?

rbjtech

There is a huge thread here on the differences between the AndroidTV and Android - yours may already be on the list.   There are still many pending ..

But agree 100% - the Android 'replacement' is still not fit for my TV's vs the 'old' AndroidTV/FireTV - for tablets and phones - it's very good - but the 'TV' experience it is still inferior imho.

re the red/blue dot issue - sounds strange - have you tried turning off any 'enhancement' features on the TV (as a test) - what about different modes.   You mention high brightness - what settings do you have (out the box etc?) Do you have a good HDMI cable between the Shield/TV ?  Tried a different HDMI Port ?    In short - that doesn't look like 'corruption/blocks' - it's something on the TV.

I have a Shield Pro/LG OLED/AndroidTV - and have never seen these dots (nor heard about them before) so it may be a configuration issue.. 

Edited by rbjtech

• 1 month later...
dougw03
On 12/5/2023 at 11:57 AM, Luke said:

What other issues did you have?

Hi @Luke, here are a few issues I've run into with the mobile app on TV:

1. https://photos.app.goo.gl/afoCEPR7gpnFFxmD7 As you can see the background is messed up and the media's cover art is showing when it should have my default background

2. https://photos.app.goo.gl/afoCEPR7gpnFFxmD7 Here you can see my media is still playing in the background even though it doesn't show up in Emby. Even if I force quit the Emby app, it keeps playing. The only way to stop it is to restart my Shield TV box.

3. I wasn't able to get a video, but when I click continue watching on the Google TV home screen often times it won't play the media I selected, but rather just resume whatever media I played last in Emby.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

dougw03
On 12/5/2023 at 1:35 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  Have you tested with the latest version of the TV app?

Yes still running into the issue. Only the Mobile app doesn't exhibit this issue

dougw03
On 12/6/2023 at 10:36 AM, rbjtech said:

There is a huge thread here on the differences between the AndroidTV and Android - yours may already be on the list.   There are still many pending ..

But agree 100% - the Android 'replacement' is still not fit for my TV's vs the 'old' AndroidTV/FireTV - for tablets and phones - it's very good - but the 'TV' experience it is still inferior imho.

re the red/blue dot issue - sounds strange - have you tried turning off any 'enhancement' features on the TV (as a test) - what about different modes.   You mention high brightness - what settings do you have (out the box etc?) Do you have a good HDMI cable between the Shield/TV ?  Tried a different HDMI Port ?    In short - that doesn't look like 'corruption/blocks' - it's something on the TV.

I have a Shield Pro/LG OLED/AndroidTV - and have never seen these dots (nor heard about them before) so it may be a configuration issue.. 

Thanks. I turn off most of the enhancements. I will try to experiment with different modes. I use the bright room settings because I get a lot of light throughout the day with floor to ceiling windows surrounding the TV (not ideal I know but it's a space constrained apartment). I have the TV's brightness sensing feature turned on so it should adjust automatically. This has only been an issue with Emby and none of my other apps are too bright.

Lastly, I have been using some older monoprice HDMI cables, but maybe it's time to upgrade to their latest generation - good suggestion. Thanks again