Does iOS support DLNA?

jbucy

Hello,

I have been using DLNA to play content on my LG TV.  It works great when I use my Windows 8 Phone or my Surface RT tablet.  I choose to play the content to the LG TV and it starts immediately and the device changes to Remote mode (most of the time).

However, I am having a problem doing the same thing using iOS devices.  When I was my iPad or iPhone, the choice to play to the LG TV shows up, but nothing happens.  The TV does not respond at all and the app on the iPhone just goes on like I didn't try to play anything.  I believe I am actually getting an error on the iPad (I will have to try it again, it has been a while), but the iPhone is what I want to work (I have tried a 5c with iOS 7 and a 6 with iOS 8 and neither work).

I am not sure why the DLNA works on the Windows devices and not the iOS device since I am connecting to the same MB3 server.  

I can play content on the iOS devices.

Thanks for any help any can give!

John

• 2 months later...

My question sorta  flows from your answer.  

After reading that FREENAS is incorporating the media browser server to replace miniDLNA, I  went and purchased, via the Apple apps store, the media browser 1.1.3 for my IPAD.

My IPAD is a apple model MD511LL/A  (gen 4) running the latest and greatest  IOS 8.1.2(12B440)

Attached is a screen capture of my freenas version and miniDLNA versions..

I am a bit disappointed that the media browser  cant detect my miniDLNA server in my NAS.

Within your client, I have tried the settings 192.168.10.60  port 8200    and also  the jailed address  192.168.10.2  port 8200 just in case.  but there are no other option I can take to adjust to this version of miniDLNA server.

mini DLNA server is being recognized by another free IOS application on my IPAD called Moliplayer.

My  miniDLNA server on my FREENAS, can also stream video content successfully  to my hardware client, Sony SMP-n100 that is attached to my TV set. 

I am not running the latest a greatest version of FREENAS or MiniDLNA because the latest firmware for freenas requires 8Gig Ram and I am running about a 4 year old PC with only 2 Gig of RAM.

Also as you are probably aware and i mentioned previously, the latest release of  FREENAS,    dropped miniDLNA in preference for your server product. Hence one reason why i bought your product.

Please help me get my miniDLNA to be recognized by your IPAD Client.

regards Dave

post-22221-0-32377600-1422061292_thumb.jpg

Edited by daveh

Vidman

Re daveh:

The media browser iOS client is not a generic dlna control point... It is designed to only connect to mediabrowser 3 servers

If you have media browser server running it has the ability to detect and play to DLNA devices which I think is where you are confused

Edit: BTW you can install media browser 3 server on newer versions of freenas where minidlna is incompatible

So if you have no intention of using media browser 3 server on your nas why would you purchase the iOS client, the store pages only mention media browser server and there is no mention of dlna anywhere?

Edited by Vidman