"Random" is broken

crusher11

crusher11

I have a VirtualTV channel set to play NBL games at random. I have 424 games, 15 of which are from 2023. And yet if I look at the schedule...

2023, 1994, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 1994, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 2023, 1994...

crusher11

@GrimReaperWhy was this moved here? It's been established previously that VTV has no control over the random selection and employs Emby's own shuffle function. 

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, crusher11 said:

It's been established previously that VTV has no control over the random selection and employs Emby's own shuffle function. 

When was it established? AFAIK @pünktchenemploys his own algorithm for shuffling after list of items received - or something changed in the meantime?

On 2/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, pünktchen said:

People often complain about this, but i already do my best. I request all library items in a random order and then do another shuffle by Fisher Yates.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:25 AM, pünktchen said:

It's the series shuffle that makes you think it is wrong. What's happening here is: The plugin takes a list of series and shuffles it, then it picks up random episodes of the first series list entry in the range of min and max. After that the series list is shuffled again. Here it can happen that the first list entry this time is the same as last time, otherwise it wouldn't be random.

pünktchen
7 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

AFAIK @pünktchenemploys his own algorithm for shuffling after list of items received

You are correct in the sense of that i don't use Emby's random results, but it's not really my algorithm 😉

• Thanks 1

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, pünktchen said:

You are correct in the sense of that i don't use Emby's random results, but it's not really my algorithm 😉

LOl yeah, I know, it was more like a figure of speech. 😄

crusher11
19 minutes ago, pünktchen said:

I'm sure you'd said in the past that you did. Must have misremembered.

In any event, this channel has over 400 episodes to choose from and keeps playing the same 16 over and over again, which is...a problem. I haven't changed the channel settings in years, and it's worked fine previously, seems to have broken due to a server update.

pünktchen

What should say? The plugin has not changed since a longer time. Of course there's always a small chance that something in the .net framework that the plugin relies on is broken. But right now you are the only one who reported a problem. If it did work in a previous version of Emby, you can always try to go back to proof that theory.

crusher11

I'm not able to roll back.

Something somewhere is definitely broken, because for at least a couple of weeks now it's just been running through this super limited loop of episodes.

EDIT: Okay, I think I've figured it out. Everything it's playing is stored on my new TrueNAS box, everything it's not playing is stored on the Synology NAS that houses the server. So for some reason it's not picking up the second storage location. Both folders are definitely ticked in the setup.

Edited by crusher11

crusher11

I just checked another channel that has access to both the TrueNAS and the Synology, and it too is only picking things from the TrueNAS.

pünktchen

Did you just recently split your series accross different paths or was it working that way already in the past?

crusher11

It was working in the past. Only a week or two ago, max. Haven't changed anything, except maybe a server update. 

crusher11

Weirdly all my actual TV channels somehow go reset today, and going through and patching that up has resolved the VirtualTV issue. 

pünktchen
On 7/10/2023 at 5:28 PM, crusher11 said:

The issue has recurred. 

I must admit, after you posted it is working again, i didn't spend any time on this. If i send you a version that would log all your tv shows, are you willing to share the log with me?