ATSC 3.0 in USA (Anti DRM on OTA Petition)

TMCsw

Gilgamesh_48

well I read that document and I see nothing much to agree with. It is the broadcaster's or network's content and they should be able to encrypt or not encrypt as they see fit.

While I like clear broadcasts better, a LOT better, than encrypted ones it is NOT a "right" or even a requirement. I detest federal involvement in private enterprises and it is the broadcaster's right to be stupid. If it takes fed action for broadcasters to behave rationally then whatever goal is desired is probably not worth it.

While this move may allow some companies to behave badly it is what many people want. Like the move to digital broadcasts it will all even out and the companies involved will either encrypt their signals or not and the government has no business interfering.

• Confused 2

roaku
1 hour ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

well I read that document and I see nothing much to agree with. It is the broadcaster's or network's content and they should be able to encrypt or not encrypt as they see fit.

While I like clear broadcasts better, a LOT better, than encrypted ones it is NOT a "right" or even a requirement. I detest federal involvement in private enterprises and it is the broadcaster's right to be stupid. If it takes fed action for broadcasters to behave rationally then whatever goal is desired is probably not worth it.

While this move may allow some companies to behave badly it is what many people want. Like the move to digital broadcasts it will all even out and the companies involved will either encrypt their signals or not and the government has no business interfering.

The FCC has been in charge of broadcast television in the US since its inception and will continue to be.

Copyright holders have plenty of other options to make their content available where the FCC has little to no jurisdiction.

Petitioning the government is a feature of the US Constitution.

Gilgamesh_48
Just now, roaku said:

The FCC has been in charge of broadcast television in the US since its inception and will continue to be.

Copyright holders have plenty of other options to make their content available where the FCC has little to no jurisdiction.

Petitioning the government is a feature of the US Constitution.

Yep, you have the right to petition and I have the right to question the need and/or intelligence of said petition. If you are in favor of the petition then you have the right to say so and if i am opposed, for any reason, I have the right to post my reasons. 

It is amazing to me that people believe they have rights that somehow supersede the right others have to disagree.

This "petition" is a horrible idea but it will not mean anything as I doubt it will gain any traction.

roaku
17 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Yep, you have the right to petition and I have the right to question the need and/or intelligence of said petition. If you are in favor of the petition then you have the right to say so and if i am opposed, for any reason, I have the right to post my reasons. 

It is amazing to me that people believe they have rights that somehow supersede the right others have to disagree.

This "petition" is a horrible idea but it will not mean anything as I doubt it will gain any traction.

Do you think someone here suggested that?

Edited by roaku

TMCsw

Yes you can have your own opinion (where did anyone say otherwise (chill out dude!).

But most countries on this world regulate the airways since the early days of radio and television. It’s long been said the airways should be free and open (yes that kinda contradicts regulation)

Airways have always been meant to be free for the masses, not for the rich and privileged whom can afford to get their media via Paid/Subscription services.
Do you think people that people can’t afford to pay for DRM stuff should not be able to get basic news about Weather/local crime/etc... ?

The Networks/broadcaster's already have an income source it’s called advertising/commercials.

Now I see that the ABC station(s) that I receive have enabled DRM and not even the silicone dust HD app will decode it.

soon (if allowed) DRM will require everyone to buy hardware/subscriptions that support both free and paid services.