Need to replace my WD MyCloud Mirror

critchy

critchy

Hi,

My 8tb WD MCM is on its last legs and I'm thinking of replacing it with an external SSD.

We never really used the remote access features, and I don't think it really needs to be a network drive. I'm thinking one of these SSDs installed in a suitable enclosure and connected to the PC (where the server is) via USB. The PC is upstairs, and we use Emby on Roku sticks elsewhere in the house.

Advantages include size, no separate power supply, easy to take away on holiday and plug into the laptop, less heat, no moving parts, speed. The old MCM gets hot, not easily portable and needs rebooting quite often these days, which takes around 15 minutes, and usually happens at the most inconvenient moment!

Disadvantages seem to just be price, and maybe capacity. The MCM is 8tb, with about 6tb used. If I need to expand at some point I'm thinking another SSD in a dual enclosure.

It seems like a very simple option. Is it too simple? Am I missing something? 

Hi, are you thinking of just a storage box or something that can run software on? If you want to run software on it and potentially Emby Server, then a Synology would be a great choice.

RanmaCanada

That's a boatload of money to waste on 8tb of space.  Yes it's convenient but it's just stupid when you can easily get 2-3x the space for that money.

critchy

And yet that's what I have decided to do. 

I don't need 2-3 times the space. I'm looking for quick, compact and convenient, portable.

• Thanks 1