Repeatedly signed out on AppleTV

biwek86619

biwek86619

For the past few weeks, Emby for AppleTV keeps signing me out every other day. None of my other devices do this. The server isn’t rebooting or updating. It’s driving me crazy. Anyone have any ideas?

harrv
On 6/30/2023 at 12:45 AM, biwek86619 said:

For the past few weeks, Emby for AppleTV keeps signing me out every other day. None of my other devices do this. The server isn’t rebooting or updating. It’s driving me crazy. Anyone have any ideas?

This problem by far is the biggest pain point I've had with Emby in quite a while. I don't personally have an Apple TV device, but I share with two family members who do and it's driving them crazy. It hasn't been a problem until recently (at least they haven't mentioned it to me until a few weeks ago) but they both have this issue. None of my other users who use other clients have any problems.

There is another thread with quite a few comments about this problem. Back in February there were quite a few questions from the dev team. Since then, the same questions have been repeated a few times and there have been a couple "we're looking into it" posts. It would sure help me a lot to know that someone is still trying to investigate the issue or has any clue what might be causing it.

I'm at the point where I'm about to roll back to older versions of Emby Server just to see if that helps, but I know that if the problem only shows up on the Emby client for Apple TV that it's unlikely to be a server issue. I don't know how to tell my family members how to roll back the Apple TV client version, or if that is even possible.

Edited by harrv
added link to the other related thread

biwek86619
16 hours ago, harrv said:

This problem by far is the biggest pain point I've had with Emby in quite a while. I don't personally have an Apple TV device, but I share with two family members who do and it's driving them crazy. It hasn't been a problem until recently (at least they haven't mentioned it to me until a few weeks ago) but they both have this issue. None of my other users who use other clients have any problems.

There is another threadd with quite a few comments about this problem. Back in February there were quite a few questions from the dev team. Since then, the same questions have been repeated a few times and there have been a couple "we're looking into it" posts. It would sure help me a lot to know that someone is still trying to investigate the issue or has any clue what might be causing it.

I'm at the point where I'm about to roll back to older versions of Emby Server just to see if that helps, but I know that if the problem only shows up on the Emby client for Apple TV that it's unlikely to be a server issue. I don't know how to tell my family members how to roll back the Apple TV client version, or if that is even possible.

True that. Well, I will refer to the old thread. Thanks for the link!

skuuup

Yeah..this happens all the time. Particularly after Apple TV OS updates.

Takes forever to put in my server address and password using the AppleTV remote. Any improvements to this are appreciated.

Natelanxon

This has been happening to one family member of mine too. We have four people who use Apple TV with Emby problem-free, but one who repeatedly gets asked to generate a new Emby Connect PIN every few days. 

I think we've got this resolved for the next update to the Emby Apple TV app. Thanks guys.

• Like 2

lysdexik

Im seeing this behavior on not just Apple TV devices, but also Android TV (built into Sony TV). Very frustrating. Has the new Emby version for ATV with the fix been pushed?

11 minutes ago, lysdexik said:

Im seeing this behavior on not just Apple TV devices, but also Android TV (built into Sony TV). Very frustrating. Has the new Emby version for ATV with the fix been pushed?

For Apple TV it will be very soon.

lysdexik
45 minutes ago, Luke said:

For Apple TV it will be very soon.

Thank you, I’ll keep my eye out. Does your post imply that you’re aware of similar issues with other clients as well?

Edited by lysdexik

seanbuff
1 minute ago, lysdexik said:

Thank you, I’ll keep my eye out. Does your post imply that you’re aware of similar issues with other clients as well?

I've not heard of a similar report for the Android TV client before. Have you tried uninstalling / reinstalling the app on your TV?

If the issue persists, I would create a new topic for the Android TV client so as not to derail this topic. Thanks.

EmbyOak

So I’m at a friend’s cottage which I set up 6 or so months ago. It is an HD AppleTV. The ATV is set up for auto updates (and it is updated). The settings were still good from 6 months of inactivity!

• 5 months later...
nate5532

I’m still having this issue on my Apple TVs (I have 3 of them). Emby client v1.8.2(1). Which version was this fixed in?

17 minutes ago, nate5532 said:

I’m still having this issue on my Apple TVs (I have 3 of them). Emby client v1.8.2(1). Which version was this fixed in?

Hi there, can you please describe the issue that you're having?

nate5532

Hi Luke,

I’ve been having this issue for quite a while, but search for answers periodically when it drives me crazy (which brought me to post here). 

Here is a link to a post of mine back in feb  I  am connecting to a server that I don’t own  I asked the server owner if they require passwords frequently and they said no  

seanbuff
On 29/01/2024 at 14:35, nate5532 said:

the issue you describe should have been resolved back in v1.7.5 of the Apple TV app

The app was storing it's data in a place where the tvOS system may wipe it out at any point in time, so we had to move it elsewhere.

See this thread where affected users reported it being solved: 

For completeness, have you tried completely uninstalling the app and reinstalling to clear any erroneous app data?

Hi, Emby Server 4.8 has a new profile pin feature for quickly switching users in Emby apps. We are working on getting an update out to Emby for Apple TV that supports this, so stay tuned for that. Apologies for the temporary disruption of having to sign in.

• Like 1