Unable to login to EMBY after latest QNAP NAS firmware update

lpacific

lpacific

The latest Emby App version is running on the QNAP NAS but I can't login to Emby on the server, on my Roku, or on my Windows PC's after I updated the firmware. The error message says that my username or password isn't correct. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

lpacific

Yes, and I got the response that the information is on: 

/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/EmbyServer/program data

But I don't know how to get to that path on the NAS. It's not viewable using the QNAP File Station. So that method of communicating is not useable to me

lpacific

OK,

So I did some research and found how to ssh to the nas ... I found the passwordreset.txt file and read it ...

The pin code will expire at 81

Whatever that means ... I don't know what it means or how to use it ...

23 hours ago, lpacific said:

OK,

So I did some research and found how to ssh to the nas ... I found the passwordreset.txt file and read it ...

The pin code will expire at 81

Whatever that means ... I don't know what it means or how to use it ...

@lpacificdid you follow the instructions to open a web browser to the page where you enter the pin code? It expires after a few minutes so you'll need to generate it again. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

lpacific

There were no instructions in the passwordreset.txt file contrary to the message on the "Forgot Password" pop-up. I pasted the entire text from that file in my previous message showing you that there's no instruction. This process is not user friendly at all. The average user can't read the file because you don't have access to the server /share directories. You need to find an easier way for users to fix login problems.

Have you had a chance to test the latest QNAP firmware version with Emby? I'm thinking that the new security updates are locking Emby users out since I've been running Emby since 2018 on this same QNAP server with the same password and have not had to change my password once. 

Emby Forgot Password Graphic.jpg

53 minutes ago, lpacific said:

There were no instructions in the passwordreset.txt file contrary to the message on the "Forgot Password" pop-up. I pasted the entire text from that file in my previous message showing you that there's no instruction. This process is not user friendly at all. The average user can't read the file because you don't have access to the server /share directories. You need to find an easier way for users to fix login problems.

Have you had a chance to test the latest QNAP firmware version with Emby? I'm thinking that the new security updates are locking Emby users out since I've been running Emby since 2018 on this same QNAP server with the same password and have not had to change my password once. 

Emby Forgot Password Graphic.jpg

What was the contents of passwordreset.txt?

• 3 weeks later...
lpacific

No, I have not resolved my problems. I still can't login with my Roku or Windows computers. The pin method is not working even though your website says it's "successful." I've only been able to use my AppleTV. 4K. The way things are going, I will not be renewing my annual subscription.

On 6/28/2023 at 5:37 AM, lpacific said:

The latest Emby App version is running on the QNAP NAS but I can't login to Emby on the server, on my Roku, or on my Windows PC's after I updated the firmware. The error message says that my username or password isn't correct. Any suggestions? Thanks ...

Recreating the auth tokens for the devices that will not log in may fix your problem. In the devices section of your Emby server is a list of every device that has connected to your server. Look for any Roku or Web related devices and delete any you find. Do not worry the next time one of those devices connects it will gain a new auth token.

Edited by speechles

lpacific

The Emby Server running on the QNAP NAS will not allow me to login using my username and password. "Forgot Password" tells me to read a text file in a location that I can't access.

lpacific

So, how can I help you work on this problem? What do you need to know about my setup? Here's what I can tell you and please ask me for any other info you need:

I'm using Firefox on two Windows 8.1 and/or Windows 10 computers to login to the QNAP NAS. I've been using the same TVS-871 NAS with two HDHomeRuns since I installed Emby in 2018.  QNAP has updated their QTS firmware multiple times to improve security as everyone else has lately. I ran into the problem after I updated the firmware a couple months ago. And it's been updated to the latest again in the last week. I'm thinking that the NAS is some how blocking the login to the Emby server my Windows computers and my Roku by some protocol security changes. I can't use the Emby Windows client either - I'm getting the same login errors with it. However, I know that the server is still running because I can still bring up Emby through the AppleTV App. The AppleTV App seems to be running fine since I can view the Guide, playback recordings, and schedule future recordings. I don't have any problems accessing any media files in the NAS shared folders with other clients. I can easily use 2 Dune HD media players and VLC through Windows ... so the normal QNAP Windows folders are open to the network. Maybe it's a problem with access to the 8096 port?

Hi, I'm sending sent you a private message to arrange a remote support session where I can log into your desktop while you're present and guide you through resetting your password.

Carlo

Edited by Carlo

lpacific

Hi Carlo,

Well, I decided to remove the Emby server software on the TVS-871 and reinstall the latest version this morning. I also decided not to use the backup configuration files so it could start out as a completely fresh installation. Now everything is working well.

So, thanks for your help, but it doesn't look like I'll be needing the remote support. I really don't know why things went wrong initially, but I do know that Emby has been running on the same NAS for least five years with all the different Emby versions and updates along the way, not to mention numerous hard drive/volume expansions. So, it was overdue and time for a lot of "housekeeping."

Thanks again,

Larry

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lpacific said:

Hi Carlo,

Well, I decided to remove the Emby server software on the TVS-871 and reinstall the latest version this morning. I also decided not to use the backup configuration files so it could start out as a completely fresh installation. Now everything is working well.

So, thanks for your help, but it doesn't look like I'll be needing the remote support. I really don't know why things went wrong initially, but I do know that Emby has been running on the same NAS for least five years with all the different Emby versions and updates along the way, not to mention numerous hard drive/volume expansions. So, it was overdue and time for a lot of "housekeeping."

Thanks again,

Larry

Hi Larry, thanks for the feedback. Apologies for the disruption.

lpacific

Thanks for checking ... Before your message yesterday, we had a major thunderstorm storm roll through here in Michigan on Wednesday that knocked out the power for a day and a half and the internet just came back a half hour ago. I had decided to try moving Emby to a QNAP TVS-473e server. It's an AMD R-Series RX-421BD with an Embedded Radeon™ R7 Graphics Processor. That did not go well - all kinds of slow transcoding/playback problems with the Emby AMD options. So I went back to the QNAP Intel based TVS-871 that I was originally using and that's been working OK so far. Let me know if you have any "tricks" on the 473e you'd like me to try. I'm willing to experiment if you're interested.

If you need transcoding the QNAP is the way to go with the Intel CPU/GPU built in.

Curious, what options do you get for hardware encoding on the AMD if any?

lpacific

The  Emby advanced hardware options didn't work on the QNAP TVS-473. I looked for AMD Graphics Drivers in QNAP support, but didn't find any information. The site only offered NVIDIA drivers for optional pci graphics cards. So, the only option is software transcoding. That's too slow and the NAS bogs down while trying to playback live or non-transcoded video. I finally decided to remove Emby from that NAS and went back to my Intel-based QNAP.  Now I'm just using the TVS-473 as a video file server with DuneHD players.