"New" nagivation is a feature or a bug? (Emby Theater for Windows)

stettler

stettler

When hiting the back button (or whatever it is called), on the remote, from the home screen, I get a side menu. And if hitting the back button again, it just close Emby, dropping me to the Windows desktop without any way to shutdown/restart the computer or to open Emby again (except by using a keyboard/mouse). Is that really intended or is it a bug?

How do you get the settings menu now? It's not in the "side menu". And the navigation is totaly screwed-up when trying to navigate to it by using the up and right buttons of the remote: When moving from one media library to another, with the right button, to reach the settings menu, it often just "jump" back to one of the media library before reaching the settings icon. And if you move too slowly from one media library to another, it loses the focus from the media libraries menu and select the first item in the library. Which force to use again the up button of the remove to go back to the menu and then the right button again to move to the next library. That's really annoying.

Imho, when playing a video, the "new" method to select CC or audio stream is totaly counter-intuitive. You need to hit the down button to open the navigation pannel and then you need to navigate up to reach the CC/audio menu. That's a lot more cumbersome than the original method.

Edited by stettler

Actually regarding subtitles, just hit up. You don’t need the initial down press.

The back behavior on the home screen is being changed back to what it was before with Emby Theater desktop. Thanks.

stettler

Cool, thanks!

What about moving from one media library to another (top menu of the home screen) to reach the setting menu on the right? If you click too fast the right button, it jump back to a media library when reaching the seach icon and you can't reach the setting's one. And if you move too slowly from one library to another, it jump into the library and select an item (so you need to navigate back to the menu). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stettler said:

Cool, thanks!

What about moving from one media library to another (top menu of the home screen) to reach the setting menu on the right? If you click too fast the right button, it jump back to a media library when reaching the seach icon and you can't reach the setting's one. And if you move too slowly from one library to another, it jump into the library and select an item (so you need to navigate back to the menu). 

Try restarting the app and see how things compare. Thanks.

stettler
12 hours ago, Luke said:

Try restarting the app and see how things compare. Thanks.

It is mostly working now, thanks. But sometime the problem still happen: when navigating the top menu, it still sometime jump back after reaching the search icon instead of going to the settings one. I am not sure what condition is causing it: It was working fine. I played a video and after, I got the problem a few times. Then I was able to reach the settings icon. After that, I tried to navigate a few more time and it was ok. I will see if it happen again next time I play a video.

17 hours ago, stettler said:

Cool, thanks!

@luke i second this, i'm not a fan of some of the UI updates (rounded edges, fonts, selection boxes) but thought i'd have to deal. The top menu thing though is terrible, i can't scroll across all my libraries without it jumping down it's not great(putting it politely)

stettler

There is still weird things when navigating the top menu: When you reach the seach icon, if you stop a little the menu kinda "reset" itself (it scrolls back to display the first library) and if you move right it jump to the first library instead of moving to the setting icon. It always do that if you stop on the search icon.

Sometime that happen even if you move fast over the search icon but most of the time, if you don't stop on the search icon, it's ok.

Also I think it's a little weird that when you are on the setting icon, if you move left you don't go back to the search icon but you jump to the first library directly...

22 hours ago, stettler said:

There is still weird things when navigating the top menu: When you reach the seach icon, if you stop a little the menu kinda "reset" itself (it scrolls back to display the first library) and if you move right it jump to the first library instead of moving to the setting icon. It always do that if you stop on the search icon.

Sometime that happen even if you move fast over the search icon but most of the time, if you don't stop on the search icon, it's ok.

Also I think it's a little weird that when you are on the setting icon, if you move left you don't go back to the search icon but you jump to the first library directly...

It scrolls back to the selected tab, not necessarily the first.

stettler
3 hours ago, Luke said:

It scrolls back to the selected tab, not necessarily the first.

Ok, not the first. But that still weird that navigating the menu in one direction doesn't produce the same result as navigating it in the other direction. Imho, if you are on the search icon and do a right to go to the settings icon then doing a left should bring you back to search and not jump to a media library tab...

(Especially as the "selected tab" depends on how fast you moved through the menu tabs: If you don't move fast enough, that will select a tab even if all you wanted was to go to search or settings)

Edited by stettler

Imho, if you are on the search icon and do a right to go to the settings icon then doing a left should bring you back to search and not jump to a media library tab...

Doing a left from the settings icon does bring you back to search. Are you sure about this? Maybe try it again?

stettler
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Doing a left from the settings icon does bring you back to search. Are you sure about this? Maybe try it again?

I just tried several times (after restarting ET): Doing a left from the settings icon jump back to a media library tab and not to the search icon.

10 hours ago, stettler said:

I just tried several times (after restarting ET): Doing a left from the settings icon jump back to a media library tab and not to the search icon.

OK that's not what I'm seeing in my testing, but I'll try to reproduce it. Thanks.

stettler
36 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK that's not what I'm seeing in my testing, but I'll try to reproduce it. Thanks.

Maybe it depends of the display mode? I haven't tried to change it.

2 minutes ago, stettler said:

Maybe it depends of the display mode? I haven't tried to change it.

Are you in TV display mode?

stettler

Yes, in TV mode (or auto which result in TV mode). I just tried with another computer and got the same result. Also navigating with the keyboard arrow keys has the same behaviour as with the remote.

• Thanks 1