options to retain previous layout functionality?

icegoddess222

icegoddess222

hi

my emby theater seems to have updated or something to a newer layout and i was curious if there was a way to roll it back? or a setting i can change to get previous functionality back? i tried all the layout options and cant seem to emulate how the app previously worked. i even tried downloading an older version 3.0.16 and its looking the same

previously on the now playing screen all of the buttons for playback/cc/audio/settings, were all underneath the playbar and now theyre split half above and half below, making it so you cant just hit right or left to get to certain options, youll have to hit up and down to get between them

similarly, when browsing media, previously the highlighted item would be brought forward, but now has been changed to a silver border around the selected option,  which can be hard to see around certain posters/items and looks a lot cheaper imo (feels like im using arrow keys on the webui)

and when on shows' pages, previously  in the top right were the buttons for settings/search and now theyre just blank

also when hitting back on the homescreen, previously it would open the settings menu and you could hit back again to close it, and now if you hit back on the main menu,  it pops up this hamburger menu, and if you hit back again, it closes the entire app without any confirmation

hopefully this post doesnt sound super whiney, cause i know a lot of hard works goes into the app, but a lot of these changes feel like steps back imo and id like to be able to restore the previously functionality if possible

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, icegoddess222 said:

Hi, this is normal in TV display mode, because you don't typically have an on-screen back button in TV apps. The button will be visible when the mouse is active or if you change the app display mode to mobile or desktop.

also when hitting back on the homescreen, previously it would open the settings menu and you could hit back again to close it, and now if you hit back on the main menu,  it pops up this hamburger menu, and if you hit back again, it closes the entire app without any confirmation

Hi, it's actually the same menu but just organized a little differently, right?

previously on the now playing screen all of the buttons for playback/cc/audio/settings, were all underneath the playbar and now theyre split half above and half below, making it so you cant just hit right or left to get to certain options, youll have to hit up and down to get between them

The reason they are above is that you can get to frequently used functions such as audio and subtitles with fewer keystrokes. Before you had to press down, then right several times.

Now you can just press up once and you're right there.

icegoddess222
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, it's actually the same menu but just organized a little differently, right?

it's not really the contents of the menu im having an issue with. its that, on any screen thats not the main menu, you can close the menu with back, but on the main menu, hitting back on it doesn't close the menu, it closes the app without any confirmation which is very aggrivating because if youre clicking back a lot to get to the main menu and click it one too many times you have to reopen the app.

the menu also keeps opening whenever im browsing and hit left too many times and i would prefer to disable it honestly and just click the user icon, but thats been removed from some screens

15 hours ago, Luke said:

The reason they are above is that you can get to frequently used functions such as audio and subtitles with fewer keystrokes. Before you had to press down, then right several times.

Now you can just press up once and you're right there.

ah that makes sense, i think previously hitting up would open the info/chapter tab so i hadnt tried that

• Like 1

icegoddess222
16 hours ago, icegoddess222 said:

similarly, when browsing media, previously the highlighted item would be brought forward, but now has been changed to a silver border around the selected option,  which can be hard to see around certain posters/items and looks a lot cheaper imo (feels like im using arrow keys on the webui)

any information on this? i think having the selected item being larger and having it kind of glide between selections looked a lot nicer than this border does

The back behavior on the home screen is being changed back to what it was before with Emby Theater desktop. Thanks.

arrbee99

Personally, have absolutely no objection to options, but I find the border to be preferable in appearance and easier to spot, especially if the background is an image and not plain grey, black etc.

stettler
55 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Personally, have absolutely no objection to options, but I find the border to be preferable in appearance and easier to spot, especially if the background is an image and not plain grey, black etc.

Agreed. If you have a lot of items, it's way easier to notice which one is selected with the border around it than when it was a slightly bigger image.

arrbee99
4 minutes ago, stettler said:

Agreed. If you have a lot of items, it's way easier to notice which one is selected with the border around it than when it was a slightly bigger image.

Must admit in a browser I put a border round everything I can find and use a contrast colour to highlight it. Maybe a teeny bit over the top (!) but it works for me -

Embyborderillustration.thumb.jpg.9a32d78c88baca9df19f45b8337b95ab.jpg

arrbee99

Why are we back to that invisible expand on selection thing ?

Its so much easier to see now -

EmbyBorderorExpanded.thumb.jpg.2643763de8e53c0f6481cf31640aabca.jpg

Edited by arrbee99

arrbee99

EmbyBorderorExpanded.thumb.jpg.6824648a682cd64d224c4f981933114b.jpg

Edited by arrbee99

3 hours ago, arrbee99 said:

EmbyBorderorExpanded.thumb.jpg.6824648a682cd64d224c4f981933114b.jpg

More options to control the behavior are certainly possible.