Do NOT use Emby for Netgear NAS Units as the latest versions fail!

kryten4k

kryten4k

Do NOT use Emby for Netgear NAS Units as the latest versions fail!

Thing is I tried every version and what I saw from the forums there isn't anything to assist in this.

Find an alternative.

kryten4k

Tried downloading the latest installer and get System: Cannot install application Emby Server.

Thing is it should just install manually via the apps but even after restarting the nas it fails.

Capture.JPG

Edited by kryten4k

alucryd

No issue here. Can you SSH into the NAS, run `systemctl status fvapp-emby-server.service` and post the output here?
image.png.27007632f47a7b94477168e677d895db.png

kryten4k

Seems to not find anything.

admin@NAS:~$ systemctl status fvapp-emby-server.service
Failed to dump process list, ignoring: Unit fvapp-emby-server.service not found.
● fvapp-emby-server.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

• 2 weeks later...
alucryd

@kryten4kThat systemd unit should be there, you probably had an issue during installation. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the package?

kryten4k

Yes, multiple times. There is just an entry in the logs saying it failed to install. There must be a way to manually remove it but I can’t find any successful methods to do this so far. I am using Kodi at the moment to get around it but wanted to use Emby as I bought premium so I can watch it from anywhere. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 3:56 AM, kryten4k said:

Seems to not find anything.

admin@NAS:~$ systemctl status fvapp-emby-server.service
Failed to dump process list, ignoring: Unit fvapp-emby-server.service not found.
● fvapp-emby-server.service
   Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Are you sure that's the full output? If we could find what directory it's referring to, that might help us. Is any server log file generated?

Emby Server Data Folder

alucryd

So the package doesn't even install. I'm positive the package isn't the issue here, I would try to factory reset the NAS as there must be an issue with the system itself.

• 2 weeks later...
kryten4k

Have so many TB worth of stuff it is seriously hard work to get this backed up and rebuild a whole nas. looks like I can't really resolve this without days worth of transfers and stuffing about. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
damascus879

Just tried updating my server from 4.7.6.0 to 4.7.14 and ran into a similar issue.  My system is a Netgear ReadyNas 2304.  I also just updated the firmware, but there did not seem to be any issues with that.  Current firmware version is 6.10.8.  I am working entirely in the web UI and have not done any SSH into the NAS.  My process was as follows
1. Updated ReadyNas firmware - success
2. Downloaded Emby server 4.7.14 64-bit to local machine.
3. Uploaded .deb file to ReadyNas - Error: System: Cannot install application emby-server.
4. *figuring I was supposed to uninstall first* uninstall Emby 4.7.6.0 - Error: System: Cannot uninstall application Emby-server.

I tried rebooting both Emby and the server a few times and attempting to install 4.7.14/uninstall 4.7.6.0 with the same results.  I used to know how to work in linux, but it's been so long, I don't know what I'm doing anymore.  I shudder at the thought of having to back up 8TB of data and do a fresh install.  Any update from OP?

Thank you,

kryten4k
On 12/30/2023 at 9:35 AM, Luke said:

So I had to completely reset my Netgear NAS to factory defaults after many hours of backing up a LOT of data.

It seems if any app fails on Netgear and the basic troubleshooting steps don't work then it is likely a factory reset is the only way to fix it unfortunately. 

10 hours ago, kryten4k said:

So I had to completely reset my Netgear NAS to factory defaults after many hours of backing up a LOT of data.

It seems if any app fails on Netgear and the basic troubleshooting steps don't work then it is likely a factory reset is the only way to fix it unfortunately. 

That's too bad. Unfortunately given that ReadyNAS is out of business I would probably suggest considering a new NAS.

richt
14 hours ago, kryten4k said:

Sounds horrible.  I ran into something similar with MySQL on my ReadyNAS, but was able to correct the problem by making an SSH connection to the NAS and manually removing all traces of MySQL that somehow were not deleted by the standard app remove in the web UI.

kryten4k
On 1/3/2024 at 8:44 AM, richt said:

Sounds horrible.  I ran into something similar with MySQL on my ReadyNAS, but was able to correct the problem by making an SSH connection to the NAS and manually removing all traces of MySQL that somehow were not deleted by the standard app remove in the web UI.

It was! Took days to get it back together so my advice to everyone is do NOT update if you don't have to unless you don't have a huge amount of extra storage and days to spare. 

kryten4k
On 1/3/2024 at 4:23 AM, Luke said:

That's too bad. Unfortunately given that ReadyNAS is out of business I would probably suggest considering a new NAS.

Given that everything is nearly twice the price lately, not everyone can afford to just "consider a new NAS", so it is a matter of trying to make things work with existing equipment. 

• Thanks 1