Issue with Subtitles when playing on Samsung TV

AP123

AP123

Hi all,

So I'm noticing an issue with some movies that have hardcoded subs. For example, I'm recently watching The Machine (2023) and there are some forced subtitles for Russian dialogue. The issue I'm noticing is after the line is spoken, the subtitle text does not go away. This does not happen anywhere outside of my Samsung TV app for Emby. The subtitle text will stay on screen until the next subtitled piece of dialogue is spoken, which sometimes isn't for 20-30m. This isn't an issue with the file itself, as again I've tested the same movie file on other platforms and it works just fine. Is there any way to fix this, as it gets very annoying just staring at one line of subtitle text for almost an entire movie. And before anyone says "just turn the subs off" yes that CAN be an option but then I won't know when the next foreign language part is, so I'd need them back on once that part occurs. This also recently happened to me with the movie Sisu. Same thing, foreign language, subtitles appear, and don't disappear. Only "fix" that really works is I go download the SRT file and then select that as my subtitles as opposed to using what's already supplied for me with the video file.

Edited by AP123

AP123

Am I posting in the wrong places? I don’t understand why my posts take so long to get any kind of response. 

pwhodges

You need to give helpful information.  The link at the top of the forum called "How to report a problems" gives some hints:

I presume from your description that your problem is with embedded subtitles - "hardcoded" subtitles are part of the video image itself and cannot be changed by any mechanism.  Also, note that the problem not appearing in some other players doesn't mean there is no issue with the subtitles - just that different players may handle problems differently.  But showing us the logs may give the possibility of seeing what the program is doing, and why.

Paul