Server backup plugin should include file images ("Primary" etc)

Aedes

Hi,

The current "Backup & Restore" plugin does not backup images associated with files.

Many of us spend a long time customising the Primary image etc. of our content and currently on a restore from backup, all of these all lost. 

I understand workarounds digging into the package files exist, but really this should be integral within the Backup and Restore plugin - a reasonable expectation is that restoring a backup should include ALL customisations including all images.

Thanks

• Agree 1

rbjtech
3 hours ago, Aedes said:

Hi,

The current "Backup & Restore" plugin does not backup images associated with files.

Many of us spend a long time customising the Primary image etc. of our content and currently on a restore from backup, all of these all lost. 

I understand workarounds digging into the package files exist, but really this should be integral within the Backup and Restore plugin - a reasonable expectation is that restoring a backup should include ALL customisations including all images.

Thanks

But where do you stop ?

The Plugin is clearly labelled as a 'Configuration' backup - but I do agree it could be a lot more descriptive on what it does and does not backup.

It should probably link to this - https://emby.media/support/articles/Backup.html

For me backup of 'locked' metadata would be a good thing to also include - ie, you've locked it for a reason - so you probably want it backed up as well.

image.png.2164943150b6ce0e8ca019125af42034.png

Edited by rbjtech

GrimReaper

AFAIK plugin will be/already is renamed to Backup & Restore and starting from 4.8 will include everything - complete programdata folder. 

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

AFAIK plugin will be/already is renamed to Backup & Restore and starting from 4.8 will include everything - complete programdata folder. 

Hmmm .. ok if you keep your metadata in the programdata I guess - but why backup metadata you can get from the providers anyway - backup's are now going to be potentially huge and if you keep multiple versions of them, then I can see people running out of storage real quick...

Seems like a missed opportunity to just backup locked or modified data - extended to work if you keep that modified data with the media...

If you just want to backup 'programdata' - then just use a backup program to backup 'programdata' ... 🤔

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Hmmm .. ok if you keep your metadata in the programdata I guess - but why backup metadata you can get from the providers anyway - backup's are now going to be potentially huge and if you keep multiple versions of them, then I can see people running out of storage real quick...

Seems like a missed opportunity to just backup locked or modified data - extended to work if you keep that modified data with the media...

If you just want to backup 'programdata' - then just use a backup program to backup 'programdata' ... 🤔

Not sure metadata will ever be 'huge': a few MB per file vs. 80GB for actual 4k film file is insignificant in my mind? Agree with you on only needing to back up locked or modified data though - just think this should include any time an image is manually changed.

3 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

I'm running 4.8 beta, no the images are not backed up with the plugin

GrimReaper

It might not be there yet, but it is my understanding that it will eventually evolve to that stage, @Luke? Maybe/likely with 4.8 going stable?

I'm not sure when but the plan is to make the backup process just copy the entire data folder. This way everything gets moved over.