FULL DISCLOSURE: May 2023 Security Incident Report

softworkz

6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

@LukeDo you have a better ETA than 'coming soon' - as that could be next week or it could be next year ... 🤪  This month or next month would suffice .. thanks.

Trying to get a new build out any day now.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
thornbill
On 6/21/2023 at 5:38 AM, softworkz said:

Amendment to section 1.3.1-2

The reason for postponing the disclosure of the mentioned vulnerability is that there is still a number of Emby Servers online where users haven't updated yet. As long as that is the case, we will not disclose the vulnerability. 

Has the additional vulnerability ever been disclosed?

7 minutes ago, thornbill said:

Hi, what do you mean by additional?

thornbill
16 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, what do you mean by additional?

In section 1.3.1 two vulnerabilities are listed, but it does not seem like the second was ever disclosed:

Eventually, two possible exploitation methods could be identified:

2 Undisclosed Vulnerability

It had turned out later that this wasn’t used in any case of the incident under investigation

Disclosure has been postponed
This vulnerability has been fixed already in
a. Stable versions >= 4.7.13
b. Beta versions >= 4.8.36

On 3/6/2024 at 6:47 AM, thornbill said:

It hasn't and it won't.

The mentioned "undisclosed vulnerability" was based on a hypothesis I had during the investigation of the incident, but it turned out that it didn't apply to the case and from a retrospective view, it's also been a bit too tricky as that someone could have found out without deep knowledge about the product.

So after all, it was merely an idea of how the server could possibly be hacked and I hope you'll understand that we do not share ideas about hacking our software.

Gilgamesh_48
1 hour ago, softworkz said:

It hasn't and it won't.

The mentioned "undisclosed vulnerability" was based on a hypothesis I had during the investigation of the incident, but it turned out that it didn't apply to the case and from a retrospective view, it's also been a bit too tricky as that someone could have found out without deep knowledge about the product.

So after all, it was merely an idea of how the server could possibly be hacked and I hope you'll understand that we do not share ideas about hacking our software.

I think the real problem was, and is, either magic, gremlins or magical gremlins. ;) :D 

• Haha 1