deny emby access to a NAS user

guill69f

guill69f

Hi  everyone, I have created a new user account on my Synology DS1821+ (DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5)

I want this user to have the most simple possible access, basically no apps etc excepted the file manager. When i log under this account I can see that the user has the Emby Server icon and that the can launch the Emby interface. If he would log on my profile he would need to key in a password he doesn't have, but i have an Emby profile without password.

So i could secure that one too so that he does not use it, but actually i think it would be better to deny this user the Emby Server access completely and not display the icon.

The thing is when I go to this user profile and check the apps he has access to and on which i can control the permissions, Emby is not listed there. Also, in the Application Priviledges section of the control panel, Emby server not listed there.

So, how can i achieve what I'd like to do? @Carlo

Thanks!

First if the account you use for Emby is the admin account, set a password. You do not want to have the admin without a password.
If you just want easy access for your own use, create a new account, set a strong password, hide it from all login screens and then enable "Allow this user to manage the server".
Verify it works properly. Once tested out and logged in as the admin, pull up your normal account which has the "Allow this user to manage the server" enabled and remove it.

You now have a normal daily account with all your playstates intact without a password. You also have a secured admin account to use when needed.

Back to your first question. Edit the users permissions on DSM. Make sure they are not a member of administrators group.  Go to the user's Appliocations tab and make sure Emby is not selected (emby may or may not be there).

In Control Panel go to Applications menu and again check what apps they have access to.

Carlo

guill69f
2 hours ago, Carlo said:

Back to your first question. Edit the users permissions on DSM. Make sure they are not a member of administrators group.  Go to the user's Appliocations tab and make sure Emby is not selected (emby may or may not be there).

In Control Panel go to Applications menu and again check what apps they have access to.

Thanks, i will look into the first part of your feedback in the coming days. Regarding the second part, Emby is not listed within the Applications tabs of the users (which are not in the admin group). it is not visible either in the Applications menu.

20 hours ago, guill69f said:

Thanks, i will look into the first part of your feedback in the coming days. Regarding the second part, Emby is not listed within the Applications tabs of the users (which are not in the admin group). it is not visible either in the Applications menu.

Let us know how you get on with his suggestions. Thanks !

On 6/17/2023 at 6:33 PM, guill69f said:

I totally missed mentioning you may need to add Emby to the Applications app in control panel or install the Synology Reverse Proxy (nginx) before any items show for Emby in those two sections.

I don't think I've used either of these in 7.1 or 7.2. If that doesn't work or if you prefer, reach out to Synology and ask them how to accomplish.  They may have a far simpler method.
Carlo

• Thanks 1

guill69f

First if the account you use for Emby is the admin account, set a password. You do not want to have the admin without a password.

All the user accounts have been for family members living in the same house, and the NAS was accessible on local network only. I am the admin and had set a password on my account. Now even the family members have one.

If you just want easy access for your own use, create a new account, set a strong password, hide it from all login screens and then enable "Allow this user to manage the server".

I would like all family members to keep their Emby accounts, but I would like users not part of the family circle to not have access to Emby. Now since I have put passwords for all family members, this should be ok. Other users see the Emby app but should not be able to launch a session as they don't have user accounts. Need to verify this more in details through, i have not tested extensively.

So the suggested solution, unless i misunderstood, is not exactly what i wanted to do. At first I thought it was possible to remove the Emby app / icon for all users which are not family members, but did not managed to do that.

if i confirm after my tests that I've now a set-up which is meeting my requirements, i'll be happy and i'll stop there.

thanks

• Thanks 1