Emby reinstall, backup plugin

luundblad

luundblad

Hi! I had to reinstall emby when one of my hhds gave up.
Now when i restore emby with a backup file from the plugin Backup & Restore,  I don't get any playstate on any of the users on my server..  :(
Why? anything i can do manually ? I have tested 2 backups.

*bad english*

1 hour ago, luundblad said:

maybe i have to wait for everything to be scanned before it shows

Correct.  The played state is saved by global provider ID so the items have to be properly identified before that will be correct.

luundblad
On 13/06/2023 at 15:03, ebr said:

Correct.  The played state is saved by global provider ID so the items have to be properly identified before that will be correct.

one question, i restalled nas and istalled emby and used a backup from before reset. all my 10 friends got their playstate back but not mine!! im going nuts haha so wierd. do u maybe know why ? tested to use the backup 4-5 times an reinstall.. can i add them manually maybe? :) thanks!

Edited by luundblad

On 6/15/2023 at 7:31 PM, luundblad said:

@Carlo do you know how i can add them manually ? 😃

Got a couple of questions for you but I could pull all the inf from a server.log file which is probably easier.

Can you upload your latest server log for me to take a look at?

Err, I kept reading playlist vs playstate.

What version of the server is the backup from? What version are you currently running?

Try this for me.  Go into the Configuration backup plugin and pick the oldest backup set you have.
Unselect everything but this one item.
image.png

The username of course will be the username from the backup on the left and your current username on the right.
Make sure it's correct and run the restore. Restart Emby Server.

Did you get your pllaystate back?
If so, try the newest version that was still from the old system.

Did that help at all?

luundblad
19 hours ago, Carlo said:

What version of the server is the backup from? What version are you currently running?

Try this for me.  Go into the Configuration backup plugin and pick the oldest backup set you have.
image.png

The username of course will be the username from the backup on the left and your current username on the right.

Did that help at all?

Thank you for answering me! :) im moving to a new server so i cant check atm maybe tomorrow. Backup and emby had the same version :) i need to check that with username then! I will write immediately when I have the server up again!

luundblad
22 hours ago, Carlo said:

image.png

Did that help at all?

Here it is!

image.png.7ff9db53ab0b02a9b6b9726b7d1df43e.png

Now when i installed emby i made a user with the username 'emby' and pass 'emby'. Then i added my premiere key and backup plugin. After that i restore all items checked. All users get playstate but not me " lundblad " the only admin account. :( So no manual adding in config files? if that file is even there. Can i find the log file in the created backup folder to send you ?

thanks!

What exactly are you not getting playstate on? Can you please provide an example? Thanks.

luundblad
6 hours ago, Luke said:

What exactly are you not getting playstate on? Can you please provide an example? Thanks.

i have seen all theese episodes on theese 3 shows but still showing that i have not.

image.png.4e1e59383b7d1ad8e0de58e4e9d4de74.png

It’s possible that some metadata has changed which can lead to this happening on a restore. For example, if any series external id changed, then play states are going to be reset. The only perfect backup and restore would be to preserve the entire original installation.

luundblad
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

It’s possible that some metadata has changed which can lead to this happening on a restore. For example, if any series external id changed, then play states are going to be reset. The only perfect backup and restore would be to preserve the entire original installation.

so no way to atleast try do it manually i guess. its on movies and series, but only 4 me.

If you’re going to do it manually then I would just do it in the user interface but marking things watched.

On 6/18/2023 at 2:12 PM, luundblad said:

Now when i installed emby i made a user with the username 'emby' and pass 'emby'. Then i added my premiere key and backup plugin. After that i restore all items checked. All users get playstate but not me " lundblad " the only admin account. :( So no manual adding in config files? if that file is even there. Can i find the log file in the created backup folder to send you ?

thanks!

If you have a spare computer you can install Emby Server on I'd like to see if this makes a difference.
During initial setup use "lundblad" as the first account created in the system instead of emby
Add your Premiere key and also install the backup config plugin.
Restart the server and configure the backup location

Create a test area with some free space to hold a few movies. Copy 2 or 3 movies you know have been watched as well as 2 or 3 movies you know haven't been watch .
Back in Emby Server add a new movie library pointing to your "testlib". The library scan will go very quick with a handful of movies.  Make sure these movies all got graphics and meta data properly.

Restore one of the backups but turn off everything except the playstate restore. You should have lundblad to lundblad

After Emby server restarts have a look at the movie library.
Are roughly half showing as watched and half not watched?

luundblad
On 20/06/2023 at 13:47, Carlo said:

If you have a spare computer you can install Emby Server on I'd like to see if this makes a difference.
During initial setup use "lundblad" as the first account created in the system instead of emby

Create a test area with some free space to hold a few movies. Copy 2 or 3 movies you know have been watched as well as 2 or 3 movies you know haven't been watch .
Back in Emby Server add a new movie library pointing to your "testlib". The library scan will go very quick with a handful of movies.  Make sure these movies all got graphics and meta data properly.

Restore one of the backups but turn off everything except the playstate restore. You should have lundblad to lundblad

Hi! now i have time to test again, but the thing you said with to make lundblad user at setup i have tried multible times, but im setting up another server now to try EXACTLY as you said here :) brb with answer how it went  :)

Edited by luundblad
  • Like 1

luundblad
On 20/06/2023 at 13:47, Carlo said:

OK done now :( Same there, doesnt work. 
And i did just login on my sons ipad on his emby account and he has the playstate there so wierd.

only lundblad/admin acc 😕

luundblad
On 19/06/2023 at 22:57, Luke said:

If you’re going to do it manually then I would just do it in the user interface but marking things watched.

i did mean to copy state files from backup to the right folder manually :P but that wont help i guess now 

Thanks for trying that!

Wow, it sounds like the play state was never backup for this one user (you).

Did you have multiple backup saved? If so try restoring just the one user.

As soon as Emby restarts grab the log files that cover the time period of the restore and send them to me so I can look for any errors or see if it says anything useful to help us.

Carlo

luundblad
On 22/06/2023 at 08:16, Carlo said:

Carlo

On 22/06/2023 at 19:55, Luke said:

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.

Well :'D i tested for like 3 days, many reinstalls and 2 servers.
But earlier today I tried again with a much older backup and then I also got back my watching state!! so the 2-3 newer ones must have been "broken" ? 
Do u want me to send that one to u?
Thx for the help 😃

No, but y want to make a copy (ZIP up the folder) so you have a copy.

What you can test for us is do a nightly backup as normal.  Create a new user "BackupUser".  You don't have to configure the user at all.
Next do a restore but unselect everything except your account.  Change it so it's writing your playlist to BackupUser.

Did the new user get your playstates?
If so, you should be good now as we just proved your last backup had your admin playstate. If good, you can delete the new user as well as remove the ZIP backup just created.

If that didn't work let us know right away and attach your server log!

Carlo