Roku no longer seeing server after Emby Server update

Biiru

I am running Roku app on Roku Express (New model). Roku software and Emby Software is up to date.

Everything was running fine yesterday. My server updated to 4.7.13.0 today. Roku Emby app can no longer locate my server. 

Rebooted everything. Reloaded Emby application. Still can't see the server. It won't auto detect, nor will it located it with direct IP address entry.

Error message is a "time-out".

Any advice?

Thanks

Additional clarifying information:

This is a local network connection. PC's on this network are able to access the Emby Server via wired and wireless connection to the Server. Android tablet connects wirelessly to the server. All these connections are through Chrome.

Hi.  Are you sure nothing in your network configuration changed?  New IP address for the server after the update?  New firewall rule added after the update?

Thanks for the quick reply.

The server is on a fixed IP address. It has not changed from Friday

I did not voluntarily change anything in the router configuration or in the server firewall settings. I have verified that EmbyServer and EmbyServer.exe are still on the allowed apps for the firewall (using Windows Defender). Port 8096 is listed as open. I don't see anything in the event logs that seems to be a blocked attempt (but it has been a while since I have had to get into the guts of windows logging).

Operator error is always possible, of course. I am the only person with access to the server PC and router configuration, so unlikely that someone else made a change yesterday.

WakeonLAN application on the Roku can wake up my server. It uses MAC addresses, so that is not extremely relevant. It does demonstrate that there is a network connection between the two devices.

If you press the Home button on your Roku remote and go to the Roku homescreen. Go to Settings >> Network >> Check connection and see if it isn't the Roku itself. Roku recently enabled IPV6 with firmware 12 and this addition might be causing you grief. Having the Roku re-detect the network will eliminate that as a source and let us move forward.

Once you make sure the Roku has the correct network settings you can also delete every single Roku device in your Emby server. Go to your server dashboard and choose the device tabs and remove every Roku device. Do not worry. As users reconnect it will readd their device to this screen.

Once you have done that if this Emby server is using Windows make sure it is using "Private network" and hasn't reverted to "Public network". When your router disconnects and reconnects sometimes Windows will do this if the event also disrupts the PC like a power outage or similar.

image.png.e03e836a6f42c99095b373688fb898c4.png

If none of the above work you may need to reset the cache on the Roku for the Emby application.

You may not be able to get to this option. If you cannot do not worry. You can make the Roku do this by delete all the Emby apps from your device. Then restart the Roku. The Roku will notice you have no applications tied to that cache any longer and wipe that space. Then reinstall the Emby apps on your Roku again.

If it still doesn't work after all of the above the problem is part of your network. Likely something on the PC side has blocked the Roku since it tries to connect to the PC. And if Emby is not running it might get seen as an intruder. It will then block the Roku if this is security software. If you use security software you might want to make sure your Roku IP isn't blacklisted.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for the help. This did correct the problem. Clearing the Roku cache was the fix.

I will step through for completeness.

Roku network connection was/is good.

Deleted all Roku devices from Emby Server dashboard. Verified private network. No change. Roku still unable to see the server.

Deleted the Emby app on Roku (I was not able to access settings without connecting to a server). Reboot Roku device, reload Emby application. Server now detected automatically.

I had previously deleted the Emby application and then reloaded it without the reboot. That did not work. I did not realize that some saved state would still carry over.

So the problem appeared to be in the Roku application cached data. 

• Thanks 1

Yet another update:

System was working on 6/11  - after removing the Roku Emby application, restarting Roku, and reloading Emby application.

No activity was attempted on 6/12 or 6/13.

This evening (6/14) - the Roku could no longer find the Emby server again.
This time the previous fix was not successful. I am able to access and playback from the Emby server via other devices on the network.

The only change to the Windows machine running Emby server was a Firefox update. No changes to the Roku device. No changes to network. 

Sequence tried was:
Remove Roku device from Emby Server. Reboot Emby Server machine. Remove Emby Application from Roku, Restart Roku device, reload Emby application on Roku.
Roku Emby application unable to detect the server automatically. Unable to connect when IP address is used.

Emby Server is functional with Windows laptops, desktops, Android tablets that are on the local network.
Roku device is functional with other applications (e.g. Netflix, Prime, etc.)

Failure is puzzling - this corrected the issue before, and there are no apparent changes outside of a Firefox update. 

Any ideas?

Hi.  Either something is wrong with the address/port on the Roku device or something on the network is not allowing the traffic from the device.

The fact that the Roku cannot see your server automatically leans me towards something on the network blocking as that is using a protocol that would not depend on any address.

Yes. LAN address is correct. Server is accessible by other devices on the network.

I have just performed a reboot on the Server machine. Roku is not powered on at present.

I have some errors in the Emby logfile (embyserver.txt). Error repeats.

---

2023-06-15 07:41:13.392 Error PortMapper: Error in GetSpecificMappingAsync

and

2023-06-15 07:41:13.403 Error PortMapper: Error in DeletePortMap

These routines repeat every 10 minutes or so making 2 attempts each.

I realize not every error in a logfile is critical. This does seem to imply that the server is not happy with some aspect of networking on my host.

I can upload the small (47KB) logfile if that would be useful.

1 hour ago, Biiru said:

Yes. LAN address is correct

Meaning if you take exactly what is displayed in that field and enter it in a browser on a machine other than the one running the server, it connects fine?

Do you have any kind of security watchdog type product running?  Maybe even on your router?

I use Windows Defender on the Server machine. No other running security products. 

No security products running on my router.

Yes. I tried that and it did not work. 

I am going to update my network driver. It should not make a difference, but perhaps it might reset something that is blocking access.

To clarify  - I will update the network adapter driver on my computer that is hosting the Emby Server.

Edited by Biiru
Clarification

Further update:

Updated my network adapter driver. Rebooted every device on my network and my router.

Roku now sees the Emby Server again. I am not sure what was the real fix was, but something on my side was messing up the network accessibility. 

I will take the win. Hopefully is stays in this state.

Thanks for your help and patience with this issue.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
darrell_duff

I am having a similar issue Biiru where Roku Emby version 4.0.85 is not connecting to my Emby server 4.7.13.0 hosted on a Synology NAS. IP address and ports on local LAN are all valid as I can connect from my phone using safari with IP address and port 8096 as well as iOS app version 2.2.10. 
What’s even weirder is I can connect from the Roku using Emby connect which is routed through the internet and back to the network, but I don’t want to route through the internet while streaming from home. 
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ve removed the Emby app and rebooted the Roku multiple times. 

pwhodges
7 hours ago, darrell_duff said:

What’s even weirder is I can connect from the Roku using Emby Connect which is routed through the internet and back to the network,

Emby Connect is an address lookup.  Nothing is ever streamed via the Internet through Emby's servers - this is different from what Plex can do.

I'd go and check the address set up on the Roku yet again...

Paul

darrell_duff
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

Emby Connect is an address lookup.  Nothing is ever streamed via the Internet through Emby's servers - this is different from what Plex can do.

I'd go and check the address set up on the Roku yet again...

Paul

IP address and ports on local LAN are all valid as I can connect from my phone using safari with IP address and port 8096 as well as iOS app version 2.2.10. 
I can manage from the web interface on my PC using the same address, same wireless network etc with no issues. The NAS has a static IP address. Also the user I connect with via emby connect is my personal account. There is a different user account for accessing at home that does not have remote access through emby (also to remember/remove what  the family watches at home vs my personal viewing). This has been set up and in use for 5 years. 

darrell_duff

Couldn’t edit the previous post, but this works on all devices except the roku  IMG_0274.jpeg.7eeaa535abc552363fd852ea141fbd68.jpeg

Edited by darrell_duff

scb99

Im no expert on the Roku but I would be checking if its local network setup changed inadvertently, so that it can reach the internet and your server’s external ip but not your local server on its internal ip

Edited by scb99

darrell_duff

I’ve wondered the same, but I control the network and it’s been set and untouched for at least 3 years with the current router. I don’t even update the firmware for reasons such as this. Once something is set up and working, I tend to not touch it anymore. 
Thanks though. It’s all baffling honestly.