Live TV playback devices

G2T

I was interested in getting emby premiere for live TV recording and playback.  I have used WMC and hd home run for live TV for years and I have an emby server that I use with a Roku.  My main concern is playback while recording and seek performance as I like to watch sports and WMC is basically flawless with this, however, I'm stuck watching TV from the one device that is running WMC and that computer is getting very old, not to mention it would be nice to get everything on the same platform.  Thanks!

About 3 years ago I was seeking to move from WMC and when I was testing this I ran into issues with playback, especially while recording live TV.  After posting I was told there were some known issues being worked on so I decided to wait.  I'm interested in looking into this again but I wanted to get informed on the current situation before diving back in.  I remember some conversation that some playback devices have a better experience when it comes to buffering or seeking not only for previously recorded show but also specifically for show that are be watching while still being recorded.  For example, Roku vs Android tv vs emby theater app and so on.

Chillout

Its come a long way in 3-years but Emby Live TV still has some rough edges when it comes to how it handles the playback buffer and recording.  Windows likely had an army of developers working on WMC so Bill Gates could show off extremely refined software.

limitations (compared to WMC):

1. No adjustable live TV buffer.. In fact the buffer is not very dependable as it seems to reset at the end of each show so you cant go back and watch everything in the buffer. Pausing live TV and fast forwarding works reliably but not going backwards.

2.  Cannot record shows that are captured within the bufffer.  You try to record a show in progress it will start recording at that point rather than going back to the start of the show.

3. No rewinding of shows while recording is in progress.  

This is based on my experience mostly with Emby Theater, other apps may perform differently.

Edited by Chillout