2018 Mac Mini 32gb ram 3.6ghz i7 processor - Transcode performance

mattcaz

mattcaz

I've searched the archives and find a lot of posts about the 2018 Mac Mini and IF it will work well with Emby, but I haven't seen a post with actual results or recommendations.

Can someone with a 2018 Mac Mini kindly advise if this is working well for you and if the T2 chip is in fact working on transcoding etc.

I appreciate your time and your response!

Matthew Caswell

• 2 weeks later...

HI, it will work and should perform well.

Not that this is relevant but I have an even older 2014 macbook for testing and it's able to handle light transcoding duties just fine.

mattcaz

Thank you so much Luke. My 2018 does seem to work very well indeed but I still have no idea that the T2 chip does for video/transcoding.

Matt

• Thanks 1

RobbyBobby

My Emby server also runs very well on my mac Mini 2018 (i7, 16GB RAM). Which also runs 8 IP cameras and is generally used as a multimedia machine in my home office.

The T2 chip is system controller, handling boot time security and system protection, as well as battery status, sensors, microphone control etc. And ... it can be used for video H.265 HEVC 8-bit encoding and decoding. If you search for Handbrake and VideoToolBox, you'll find some interesting stuff about it. FYI: I use Handbrake and avoid using VideoToolBox as the results aren't good. 😀

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
Damien_

I have the same mini (and same ram). It works as expected. I run a plex server simultaneously (long story) and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tried to play something on plex where there should theoretically be no issues. For whatever reason it won’t play or it will transcode when it shouldn’t. I’ll play it on Emby and zero issues. Re: transcoding;   I personally don’t use the integrated gpu/toolbox nor encode files if they don’t direct play as the cpu handles transcoding well.  

FYI  Emby for Mac releases are slower than the others. You don’t get a new Mac release with every Emby server update like the other OS’s. Forget why But yes  the hardware works well. 

mattcaz

Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it and after constant use, the 2018 Mac Mini is doing great!