This Emby Server Needs To Be Updated

Poo

Thanks for the excellent program, I've been using it since the early wmc plugin days. I now use a mix of Media Centre and Emby Theatre on our machines, with the server locked at 4.6 to maintain compatibility with the Media Centre plugin.

Recently Emby Theatre has complained that the server requires an update to the server to continue. I cannot of course do this because of the whole Media Centre thing. I have tried to load earlier versions of theatre but this has not worked so I am assuming it is something deeper.

Is there some sort of work around? 

Hi, how are you liking Emby theater these days? Could that just replace wmc for you so that you can update the server?

Hi Luke, Emby Theatre is great for stored media, Still prefer wmc to record TV. The other hassle is the the media server PC also backs up work computers and is not in position to have a TV card. I know a HDhomerun box (have one) should solve this but the network is turned off when not in use so the tuner in the local PC work without major changes. Theatre is great as is without update. Is there no way to lock it at a previous version or stop the update flag from flying. After all the program is a means to an end (watching media) not the end itself!

Thanks for your time....

Could you still use wmc to record outside of Emby? Then you can update all of your Emby software and just setup a library that points to your recordings.

One2Go
9 hours ago, Poo said:

Hi Luke, Emby Theatre is great for stored media, Still prefer wmc to record TV. The other hassle is the the media server PC also backs up work computers and is not in position to have a TV card. I know a HDhomerun box (have one) should solve this but the network is turned off when not in use so the tuner in the local PC work without major changes. Theatre is great as is without update. Is there no way to lock it at a previous version or stop the update flag from flying. After all the program is a means to an end (watching media) not the end itself!

Thanks for your time....

I have been sort of in the same situation as you and have decide on running two servers. I run on a Win 7 Intel NUC a server version that is staying at a set version number and will not be updated to ensure that my WMC/EMC software continues to work. On it I am using EMC because I like the interface to my two UnRaid servers and EMC will only be used for playback on the Win7 PC.

I have a second server installed on a QNAP NAS which runs 24/7 and it will always be updated to the latest server version. I have a HDHomerun Extend which gets OTA stations. The HDHomerun is connected to my network which allows the server on the QNAP NAS with the premier license to give me an EPG and I record TV content from that. If I want to keep the TV content it gets moved to the UnRaid servers if I don't want to keep it, it stays on the QNAP NAS and will be periodically deleted.

Therefore, on your clients for playback you can select the libraries from the different servers and play the content back. Granted there may be some extra time needed for house keeping but it serves my purpose.

If you search through the forum you will see that I was one of the proponents to stay with WMC/EMC come what may, but the fact is that the Devs are the ones that give their project direction and we have to decide at what point will I stop with the updates on the 1st server and will now start a second server that will go along with the Devs present vision for Emby.

Edited by One2Go

• 5 months later...

Wasn't sure if I should create a new thread or post into this one.

I've had my server locked down to v4.7.6.0 due to using a Win7 with WMC machine in the home theater. Simply love the multitude of themes and the incredible configurability!

All the other rooms are using Emby Theater on a PC running Win10.

I tried using Emby Theater today and was greeted by the "This Emby Server Needs To Be Updated" message.  Is Emby Theater (for Windows) no longer able to run on Server v4.7.6.0 ??

26 minutes ago, rms8 said:

I've had my server locked down to v4.7.6.0 due to using a Win7 with WMC machine in the home theater. Simply love the multitude of themes and the incredible configurability!

I tried using Emby Theater today and was greeted by the "This Emby Server Needs To Be Updated" message.  Is Emby Theater (for Windows) no longer able to run on Server v4.7.6.0 ??

HI, it has been bumped up to requiring 4.7.8+.

It's called progress, easiest thing to do is install a current server version onto one of your windows 10 machines and point Emby Theatre to it..

19 hours ago, rms8 said:

@rms8you might be interested in this: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/forum/187-wmc-ui-beta/

2 hours ago, Luke said:

I saw that a little while back and was STOKED....then I found out that none of the things which make Emby WMC so pretty (all the various themes) would work with it.

2 hours ago, Poo said:

It's called progress, easiest thing to do is install a current server version onto one of your windows 10 machines and point Emby Theatre to it..

Progress sure, but at what cost? You loose all the beautiful, highly customizable themes which really make viewing one's collections so nice.  You suggest making another server strictly to use Emby Theater and stay current, and leaving the original serve on the older version which allows me to retain my Win7 WMC machine intact.  That's definitely a plausible solution, but what about the 30TB+ of media on the original server.  If I built a 2nd server which is running the most current version of Emby Server, how would I get the media to it so the Emby Theater clients can use the media which is physically installed in the older server?

Easy, Emby server does not have to be on the machine with the files. Set it up and point to the share folders on the other machine. I did this in frustration 5 months ago and it is working flawlessly!

The new app looks fantastic but does it address the main reason i believe that a lot of people don't full migrate to Emby. Recording TV, I know its not that popular these days but with the price of streaming services increasing and the sharing crack down I think it may just return as an option for more people

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Luke said:

Luke,

I have a few Amazon Firesticks.  Emby works on those despite the older version of the server.  BUT,  when I select a movie to play, the screen is just black. ALL my movies are ripped in their native folder structure.  Does this mean Emby is not able to play back movies ripped like this, or is there a setting I need to investigate in the Emby app, or on the Server?

THANKS!

Edited by rms8

2 hours ago, rms8 said:

Luke,

I have a few Amazon Firesticks.  Emby works on those despite the older version of the server.  BUT,  when I select a movie to play, the screen is just black. ALL my movies are ripped in their native folder structure.  Does this mean Emby is not able to play back movies ripped like this, or is there a setting I need to investigate in the Emby app, or on the Server?

THANKS!

Can we please look at a specific example? Are you talking about DVD Blu-ray folder structure?

5 hours ago, Luke said:

Can we please look at a specific example? Are you talking about DVD Blu-ray folder structure?

Yes.  I rip them all to their folder structure :

image.png.a6b52bb5c20e025d2535e7c09b8d4019.png

OK there isn’t native support for that unless you use theater with an external player.

Outside of that it’s more like we do the best we can and just play the latest m2ts or vob. That can be hit or miss.

Have you considered using make mkv to convert those to mkv? You can do so without losing anything.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

OK there isn’t native support for that unless you use theater with an external player.

Outside of that it’s more like we do the best we can and just play the latest m2ts or vob. That can be hit or miss.

Have you considered using make mkv to convert those to mkv? You can do so without losing anything.

Ah, that's proly it then.  I'll add an external player, like VLC or something.

I've considered converting everything to MKV plenty of times, but just don't have the time.

Thanks Luke !!!!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/11/2023 at 20:17, rms8 said:

Simply love the multitude of themes and the incredible configurability!

Is there still a resource for installing the old MB themes? I've been toying with the idea of spinning WMC up on one of my machines and would love to be able to install the old themes I used to use.

• 2 months later...
Advarp
On 04/06/2023 at 08:07, Poo said:

Thanks for the excellent program, I've been using it since the early wmc plugin days. I now use a mix of Media Centre and Emby Theatre on our machines, with the server locked at 4.6 to maintain compatibility with the Media Centre plugin.

Re EmbyServer 4.6 - Can you please tell me how you managed to install 4.6 and maintain it to that version?

I have the 4.6.7.0  7z archive and unzipping it -  however, It seems the default setting is Autoupdate and by the time I get to the setting to change it, it has already auto-updated.

ProgramData (where system.conf has the autoupdate setting) does not exist in the 7z and as it is being created as the server already auto-updates...

I am not after any fancy stuff, just have a very basic server running for local movies. WMC native Movie Collection menu is horrible...

Many Thanks!

Edited by Advarp

What you are after is under settings and Auto Updates. Yo may have to disconnect the internet before the install to give you time to turn off updates...