New TCL QM8 TV & Emby for Android TV app

RRmovies
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

RRmovies

Hello.. This is my first time in here and I will deeply apologize ahead of time for my lack of knowledge of Emby. Up until now I had no issues. I have researched and tried different things to get the video & audio on some movies on this new tv to stop stuttering. The TCL QM8 was just released about a week ago. I have many tv's in my home and all of them play all of my movies with no issues (including another TCL Series 6 tv). This new QM8 tv is giving me a fit. This tv has Google TV (not the usual Roku that TCL uses). I downloaded Emby for Android TV, entered all of the needed information, and was able to log into my home media server just fine. As I mentioned some movies on this new tv play fine and others are skipping and stuttering really bad. To test things I plugged in a Formuler Z8 4K box into this new tv and ran the same Emby for Android TV app and that plays fine through this new tv.. So I guess the issue is when I run the Emby for Android TV app directly off the tv and it's built in apps..

I tested other apps like Netflix, Prime, YouTube, and others and they all play videos with no issues. It's only doing this when running the app directly off the tv. I'd like to run Emby directly off the tv but for now I have to use my Formuler Z8 Android box.  

embyserver (1).txt

Edited by RRmovies

• Solution

Hi. Try setting the audio output option in the app to mix down to stereo to see if that makes a difference. 

• Like 1

RRmovies

WOW!! Thank you for that reply. I did change the audio to mix down to stereo and now it seems to be playing on this new tv just fine now. You would think these latest tv's (TCL's highest model's) would play these formats! My Formuler Z8 Android box handles it better haha.   

By changing that setting does that mean the audio will only play in the left & right channel and not surround?? 

Thanks again for the help team

1 hour ago, RRmovies said:

By changing that setting does that mean the audio will only play in the left & right channel and not surround?? 

Depending on exactly what audio equipment you have.  Are you using something other than just the TV speakers?

RRmovies

Yes I am using a Denon AVR and 7.1 speaker system. So the home theater receiver will still run the movie in the surround mode as intended? 

On 6/2/2023 at 10:24 AM, RRmovies said:

Yes I am using a Denon AVR and 7.1 speaker system. So the home theater receiver will still run the movie in the surround mode as intended? 

It normally should, yes. Is that  what you’re seeing?

RRmovies

So I did some testing this weekend and here is what I am seeing.. 

When I switch to mixdown to stereo the video/audio stuttering is resolved (when using Emby app directly on the TV via app) and everything plays with no issues with the default player in Emby. What I did notice is the Denon AVR is no longer auto switching the surround sound modes. So if the movie is using DTS 7.1 the Denon AVR is not auto switching to that surround mode like it did before. It just stays on the standard Dolby Surround mode. I can manually switch it and it seems to be working. 

If I put the audio setting back to auto (where it was stuttering on the Emby built in player) and use an external player the video and audio play with no issues and the Denon AVR auto switches the surround modes. I'm guessing there is some sort of issue with the default Emby player and this new TCL QM8 tv. Like I said if I use my external Formuler Z8 box everything works without having to change anything using the same TCL QM8 tv. It's only when I use the Emby app directly on the tv. 

RRmovies

For now my options are..

1. Use mixdown to stereo to avoid stuttering and manually switch surround modes on Denon AVR when using default Emby player directly on the tv

2. Set audio back to auto and use external player when using app directly on tv and the Denon AVR will auto switch the surround modes

3. Use Formuler Z8 Android box and not have to change anything 

All of these options work 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
vaise

I am following 4+ threads of the same issues with this stuff since I bought this new TV.  For an all singing, all dancing TV that can play every file as proven by doing it outside emby, the downmix to stereo is NOT a solution as this has been marked.  This needs a fix so the auto works.  The jellyfin default works so it must be fixable.  In my case, no sb or anything just the tv.  It has been half a year with these problems it seems.

RRmovies

Agreed.. In this day and age of 4K Ultra, Dolby Atmos/ Vision, HDR10, TRUHD 7.1, DTS HD 7.1, ect all of this should work with the default player. These formats do not play well on the default player. If they do play some movies are skipping really bad. Some movies start up and display the proper format tiles (ex. Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos) and the AVR will auto switch to the correct surround sound mode. After a few minutes it locks up or the audio is stuttering really bad..

Before anyone says it's your server.. nope! When I switch to an external player this does not happen. I have tested many external players and the sad part in all this is one player will work great for this movie, this other player works for these movies, and the default player works really good for these movies. One 4K movie will work for 30-45 minutes (with the default player) and then the screen goes black. When I try to exit nothing happens. If I power down the tv and go back in it's still black. I literally have to uninstall the Emby for Android TV app and install it again to get past this lock up issue.. 

The downmix to stereo works for many of these audio issues but not all of them. The default player should support all of these formats or pass it through, or drop it down to a format that works. Almost all of the new releases feature HD audio.

I love the Emby software.. The Emby support team has been very helpful to me. I am a paying member. If I didn't like it I would not have signed up. You guys REALLY need to update your default player. I don't know what all is involved to accomplish this but this topic keeps popping up and it's not going to go away.  

f I power down the tv and go back in it's still black. I literally have to uninstall the Emby for Android TV app and install it again to get past this lock up issue.. 

Hi.  Have you tried going into the apps section on the device and force closing the app instead?

You guys REALLY need to update your default player

We are already running an up to date version (notwithstanding the release that was just put out last week) so whatever this issue is it isn't quite that simple.

RRmovies

Hello ebr and thanks for the reply.. 

No I will try that the next time this thing locks up. I am still navigating around this new TV and it's options. 

Your updated default player is still having issues with HD audio formats. I am not sure what these issues are but it appears to be HD audio related. Examples below

Alien 4k Ultra & Bluray now use DTS-HD MA 5.1 - Your default player locks up the 4K Ultra version. Your default player starts skipping the audio as soon as the movie starts. Switch settings to Downmix to Stereo and the bluray version plays fine. Use external player for 4k or Bluray and both play with no issues. 

Ghostbusters Afterlife 4k Ultra - Your default player will display the HDR10 tile (pops up on the tv letting us know it's active) and the TRUHD 7.1 audio plays but my AVR is not showing that surround mode. After a few minutes the movie stops. When you try to back out the screen remains black. I just tested the force close and that did work so thank you for that suggestion. I tested this same movie on an external player and it played the entire movie. Not sure the audio was playing TRUHD 7.1 as my Denon AVR will typically display the surround sound modes automatically and it did not do that. But it did play from start to finish and I did not have to change any settings.   

I also tested other 4K Ultra movies and it's random. Jaws and Predator just stop playing at random spots. Other movies have that skipping audio issue. All of these issues appear to revolve around HD audio formats (I stress the word appear cause I really am not 100% sure). 

vaise

I bought this new tcl TV to simplify things for the family in the main lounge.  So I removed the Soundbar and the shieldTV and just have this fancy tv that plays every format.  I still have the shield there for testing.  First I downloaded all the demo stuff the stores have to test the tv, that all played fine.

My grandson came over and we put on gremlins movie.  Sound clipped and was like being underwater.  Change from auto to stereo fixed that (but lost the 5.1).  

Changed back to auto and tried to watch live tv.  Froze immediately.  Tried to watch recently added Glastonbury festival.  Froze.  Changed to stereo and these all play.  Stereo means our channels that record in 5.1 are very quiet and sound needs to go to 80 to hear it.  Swap for stereo to 5.1 and that channel and it’s recording are fine, but have to swap back for other stuff.

At this time the wife wonders why such a good tv has all these problems.  Swap back to shield, on auto, as normal, and everything plays fine then with no issues.  

Based on anothe thread I created for all this, I also installed jellyfin and everything then plays fine on the tv with their ‘direct’ setting, which is all they have.  Their app is a cut down emby though.  Loads of stuff missing. First time I looked at it.  But for this TV, it all just works (so far).  At the end of the day, that’s what you want.

That’s where I am.  I am still resisting the swap back to the shieldTV, I have set myself up on jellyfin the same as emby.  I plan on getting my watch statuses over this week. That is the only think the wife complained about with it.   My son plans on getting the same TV for its gaming stuff, that’s two that will have to move to jellyfin for this TV.

I hope it’s sorted soon.

RRmovies

Do not think it's the tv.. but who knows. If you have the TCL QM8 and use other apps like Netflix, Prime, Disney, and other app they all play with no issues for me. These apps also play HDR10 and Dolby Vision/Atmos video. This tv also plays ALL of the HD audio formats with no issues. I even have a Panasonic Ultra HD player and that plays with no issues. The only thing that is not working properly is the Emby for Android TV app when loaded directly on the tv. If if plug in my Formuler Z8 android box into the TCL QM8 tv, open Emby for Android TV it plays much better but still has issues with HD audio. I think the Formuler Z8 android box just steps it down to a audio format that works but at least it plays. 

The fact that you have to drop the audio down to stereo to get this to work is not right and should be looked into 

You are having very similar issues

Good luck 

Edited by RRmovies

• 1 month later...
RRmovies

Hey glennsfield.. It's really not a fix but it works (for now). Hopefully they update the built in player for the Android TV app. The player will play some 1080p movies with no issues and others will play with skipping audio and stuttering video. 4K movies with HD audio (True HD, DTS HD) are REALLY bad with this player. If you get the movie to play it only plays for a a few minutes and craps out. I think I got one 4K movie with hd audio to play maybe 30 minutes and then it just went back to the main movie page. 

The only workaround for this is downmix to stereo. I have also tried 3rd party external players but that has it's up's and downs. Some external players will play this movie but not that one and so on. They need a player that works and plays ALL of these movies and their audio formats. It seems to be something within the Emby for Android TV app and the player is the logical choice though. My Android Formuler Z8 box plays these movies with no issues and I am mainly using that for now. When the movie does play on the TCL QM8 it's awesome. Need to fix this guys.  

vaise

This 'fix' means for our Australia TV channels that transmit in 5.1, we have to put the volume up to 90 to hear it!

We seem to record a load from this channel and this is a pain when you forget and go to smething else and wake everyone up with a 90 volume.

It seems rougly half of the stuff I 'get' has an issue with this - needing the volume increased.

The other 'Fix' is to use Jellyfin on this TV - as that plays it all fine on 'direct' setting - their only setting for audio.  They hont have auto and thw two downmix options.

I was told by Luke to test this on beta .42 - which would suggest it is not just a player issue but the server side and knwing a remote devices 'playback capabilities'.

Unfortunately, I cant go to .42 yet as the 'no password required on LAN' was removed and I have little kids that cant do passwords.  I am hoping to recitfy those issue tomorrow and can then test .42. 

RRmovies

Thanks for the details vaise 

If you do test the .42 beta be sure to let us know the results. This TCL QM8 tv is really nice and it would be an even nicer experience if this can get sorted out. 

vaise

I can report .42 has none of the required sound fixes when changes back to auto.  My issues come back. :

1- Many shows freeze on playback immediately

2- sound is clipping (underwater like) in many others.  

When to ‘fix’ it with downgrade to stereo, then Channel 10 that transmits in Dolby 5.1 needs volume set to 90 as well as many other shows when downmix to stereo is used.  So this is not a fix.  All reported in my other posts. 

• 3 weeks later...

All please try the latest Emby for GoogleTV beta app.

Its fixed all my issues. 

2.0.93 (7 Sep)
  • Tweak Exo settings
  • Thanks 1

RRmovies

Hello Vaise.. That is fantastic news.

How did you go about updating this on the TCL QM8 tv? I am not seeing that version 

Many thanks 

7 hours ago, RRmovies said:

Hello Vaise.. That is fantastic news.

How did you go about updating this on the TCL QM8 tv? I am not seeing that version 

Many thanks 

He sideloaded it. We are working on getting the update released to the store as quickly as possible. Thanks.

• Like 1

I did not need to side load it as I am part of the android tv beta testing team.  So for me they pop up in the App Store as the beta.  Means you can’t run the prod.  All I had to do was go to the google play store on the tv, click on emby, then click on update.