Parameter does not survive a reboot

DrZombi
Go to solution Solved by Baenwort,

DrZombi

Hi guys,

I have a very strange error happening these days. When I want to connect to my emby server through my Nvidia Shield, I go power it on as usual, launch the emby app and select my user but when I want to enter the PIN through the remote, it keeps telling me that the PIN is not correct. I finally found out that it was because the parameter "allow PIN in local network" was unset. I set it back again with the good PIN and everything works again. But each night, after my cold backup, the jail is restarted and the parameter is not retained, I have to re-set it again !

What is very strange is that it happened all of a sudden, without any update done on emby nor the TrueNAS. It happened and now it will happen each day. This is easy to workaround but very frustrating !

Does anyone has any idea of what could prevent this parameter to be saved correctly ? (Should not be a free space problem, would make no sense since the parameter was set and working since a lot of time and also I have added some movies recently in the library and their metadata are still OK after a reboot) .

Thanks in advance to anyone who will help :)

Best Regards,

HI, is this user on your server an admin? Going forward this won't be allowed for admin users anymore. I realize the current change is not handled very gracefully. It was pushed out quickly as a security update and will be handled better in the upcoming 4.8 server release.

I think what you want to do instead is configure the app to remember the logged in user, no?

• Thanks 1

DrZombi

Hi Luke,

Thanks for your quick answer. No I don't want the app to remember the logged in user. I have children and I don't want them to be able to access movies which are not suitable for them. That's why I have an account for them with no password and an account for me (the admin yes) with a password. But typing the password through the virtual keyboard on screeen is totally stupid as it totally annihilates said password if anyone can see you type it. This is why the PIN directly typed from the remote is the perfect solution for me.

So you're telling me that this change has been made on purpose ? This is strange because I was certain that this happened for the first time out of nowhere and not right after an upgrade.

Edited by DrZombi

• Solution
Baenwort

So what has occurred is they have made admin users (that can do a lot to the server) require password protection it seems.

The solution I've used is to create a new user is just for admin (and check Allow this user to manage the server ) then using that account (which has a password and you can check ( Hide this user) after logging in as it and removing the manage server checkbox from your account. This will let you use the passwordless local log in while meeting the new security needs.

The only functions you lose are things like creating users (which you can do via your admin account) and adding plug-ins. 

• Thanks 1

DrZombi
9 hours ago, Luke said:

HI, have updated to Emby Server 4.7.12+?

I'm using the TrueNas Plugin and not directly the FreeBSD port so with my latest updates of a few days ago (after I noticed the problem and tried an update to see if it would change something) I'm now on 4.7.11.0_8. Seems to be the latest available build for the plugin.

9 hours ago, Baenwort said:

So what has occurred is they have made admin users (that can do a lot to the server) require password protection it seems.

The solution I've used is to create a new user is just for admin (and check Allow this user to manage the server ) then using that account (which has a password and you can check ( Hide this user) after logging in as it and removing the manage server checkbox from your account. This will let you use the passwordless local log in while meeting the new security needs.

The only functions you lose are things like creating users (which you can do via your admin account) and adding plug-ins. 

Yes, after reading the first answer from Luke this is exactly what came to my mind also. I did not know about the possibility to hide an account though ! Thanks for the walkthrough :)

• 2 weeks later...
DrZombi
On 6/14/2023 at 6:39 AM, Luke said:

Have your questions been answered?

Well... Yes, thanks 😊.

I replied, I gave thanks/likes and I marked as solved. Should I have done something more ? 😅

• Thanks 1