Playlist display selection

jiggity

jiggity

Hi,

Would it be possible to have a selector option to choose what playlists are displayed under the main menu playlist selection.

Currently the main menu playlists section will display all playlists created, while movie and music playlists can be accessed under the secondary menu sections, leaving the playlists composed of only TV selections to be accessed from the main menu.

If there are a number of playlists it starts to become unwieldy to sort/find them with no secondary TV playlist menu options.

Hi, we’ll be adding playlists to TV libraries in the upcoming 4.8 server release. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Tremas

I suggest that the best solution would be to add "media type" to the filter view for the playlist library. If you could just filter for TV/Movie/Music/Music Video/Audibook, etc, it would become much more usable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, Tremas said:

I suggest that the best solution would be to add "media type" to the filter view for the playlist library. If you could just filter for TV/Movie/Music/Music Video/Audibook, etc, it would become much more usable.

But playlists can contain a mix of anything so they don't have a media type per se.

Tremas
2 hours ago, ebr said:

But playlists can contain a mix of anything so they don't have a media type per se.

I though as much previously, but each library has a playlist tab that only shows playlists that only contain items from that library. Browsing the playlist tab in a music library only shows playlists with music (which is great when dealing with music vs. music videos). So it may be a filter by library rather than a filter by type, but to the user that would be just semantics. The point would be to make the playlist library more useful.

For example, I currently resort to giving all of my playlists a prefix such as (music) or (music videos) or (TV). I do that so I can identify what it refers to when picking out of a list, which as the OP suggests, can get very long.

To me personally, the larger problem is filtering/navigation when trying to add tracks to a playlist. If you select a song/video and click "Add To Playlist" you are presented with a screen that contains all playlists with the primary image, and only a small amount text all sorted alphabetically. This selection screen is often frustrating and would be more useful if you could filter by content/library and present the data in list form so that all text is visible. This selection screen should always present all playlists as it does now, so that is correct. Like you say, the user may want mixed content. However more filter and navigation options for large lists would be super helpful. An alpha picker and filter/sort options seen elsewhere for instance.

I hope that's helpful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tremas said:

So it may be a filter by library rather than a filter by type

Correct.

1 minute ago, Tremas said:

but to the user that would be just semantics

Certainly possible to have multiple libraries of the same type and also possible to have libraries with different types in them (mixed).

2 minutes ago, Tremas said:

To me personally, the larger problem is filtering/navigation when trying to add tracks to a playlist

I'm sure there are some ways we can make that easier with some sort of filter.

Tremas
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Correct.

Certainly possible to have multiple libraries of the same type and also possible to have libraries with different types in them (mixed).

I'm sure there are some ways we can make that easier with some sort of filter.

Exactly.. some type of filter for the playlist library page and the selection page (the subject of this FR). As per the OP, either a filter by content type (any playlist with at least one item of this type is displayed) or a filter per library (I would expect this would be more difficult for the user to understand).

I would suggest a filter by type with the same drop-down menu used when creating a library type: Movies, Music, TV Shows, Audio Books, Books, Games, Music Videos, Home Videos & Photos, Mixed Content:

image.png.c23928eb4cee18fe029cd8d03ed1e5a5.png

The result of the filter would show any playlist that contains at least one item from any library with the selected type. Is that doable? It seems logically possible, but I don't know the structure of the database. If it works, that would closely mimic the behavior seen in the playlist tabs of each library. That's a behavior users are already used to. I guess a "Mixed content" filter might give you some difficulty, but I don't think that option would be required for the first implementation of this feature request. I think the main value is in separating playlists with Music, Music Videos, Audiobooks, TV Shows, and Movies.

Again.. just my feedback. List views and filters are welcome everywhere 😀.