Home videos & photos not showing my files

ProfMeowington

ProfMeowington

Hello,

I am running a DS218+ and the latest version of Emby. I am storing my photos and videos in a top level folder called "photos" (which contains two further folders). I have added this folder as my Home videos & photos folder. I have shared the top level folder with the emby user (full access). However, I don't see anything inside of it in Emby, even when I refresh and update. The folders are indexed because my LG TV is finding them through its native photo app. What have I missed? Thanks!

ScreenshotEmby.png

Edited by ProfMeowington

HI there, what version of Emby Server are you running? How did you configure your libraries in Emby library setup?

ProfMeowington

I wrote the wrong model in my previous post, I have the DS220+. I am running the 4.7.8.0-704070800 version of emby. Do you mean these settings? I believe I left them as default, and added the photo folder.

ScreenshotSettings.png

ScreenshotFolder.png

Edited by ProfMeowington

How are your files structured underneath /volume1/photo?

Have you setup any other emby libraries?

ProfMeowington

Under photo there are two folders, with the names of two users. Under each of the user folders there are further folders, arranged by years, and under years there are folders with the names of locations/events.

So volume1/photo/user/year/location/picture.jpg

Yes, series and movies are working flawlessly! But I set those up two years ago.

Edited by ProfMeowington

14 minutes ago, ProfMeowington said:

Under photo there are two folders, with the names of two users. Under each of the user folders there are further folders, arranged by years, and under years there are folders with the names of locations/events.

So volume1/photo/user/year/location/picture.jpg

Yes, series and movies are working flawlessly! But I set those up two years ago.

Have you checked the permissions of files and folders underneath the top level? they could have their own overridden permission set.

ProfMeowington

I think you're on to something there. For some reason the folders have different properties compared to the other library folders. At the bottom of the "General" tab it says "Owner & group", whereas the working one only has "Owner". And the "Permissions" tab looks different too, in the folder which is not working, I am not able to add individual users... Any idea what to do?

ScreenshotPermissions.png

1 hour ago, ProfMeowington said:

I think you're on to something there. For some reason the folders have different properties compared to the other library folders. At the bottom of the "General" tab it says "Owner & group", whereas the working one only has "Owner". And the "Permissions" tab looks different too, in the folder which is not working, I am not able to add individual users... Any idea what to do?

ScreenshotPermissions.png

@Carlomay have some tips on that.

This is a permission problem.
It's been a while since I've seen this with Photostation but if I remember correctly the permissions will get reset as files are uploaded to the NAS to make sure Photostation has proper access.

In file station right click on the Photos share and bring up properties. Click the permissions tab and make sure "emby" is set to allow and read/write.
click edit button and try these settings
image.png

click Done

Enable the option at the bottom "Apply to this folder, sub-folders and files"
Click the save button and give it another try.

ProfMeowington

Thanks @Carlo, but unfortunately I am a bit lost... It doesn't look like that for me. I have attached what my permissions tab looks like. There is no option to do this for subfolders.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Screen.thumb.png.00713336d107b24b7ea60c347ab2fabb.png

That was a right click on photo (left side) followed bt clicking on properties?

How about doing an SSH into the box going sudo -i and running a
ls -lh
on the photo directory

might be /volume1/photo

ProfMeowington
On 5/31/2023 at 6:51 PM, Carlo said:

That was a right click on photo (left side) followed bt clicking on properties?

How about doing an SSH into the box going sudo -i and running a
ls -lh
on the photo directory

might be /volume1/photo

Correct, I right clicked on "photo" in the tree view, then clicked on the "Permissions" tab. Here are the results from SSH: @Carlo

SSH1.png

SSH2.png

There you go. Only user1 & user2 have access to the data. 

What you're trying to do is rather tricky for a couple reasons which you might want to rethink.

First, users of your NAS using PhotoStation can control who can and can't see their pics.  You're now looking to bypass that control by making all pictures and videos public (on your server). 

Then there is the actual permission issue that is tricky in itself because changes here could potentially break PhotoStation.

PhotoStation itself was quirky which in part was why Synology EOL it and replaced it in DSM 7.

That begs the question, when are you planning on upgrading to DSM 7 (7.2 at this point)?  Your system right now has many known vulnerabilities that were fixed in 8.0, 7.1 & 7.2. You should be trying to get off DSM 6 as quickly as possible which also solves this issue because you won't be using PhotoStation any more.

• Like 1

ProfMeowington

I am running DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 5 though, and it says my system is up to date. So there are no new updates available as far as I can tell.

When I created the folders I was probably using an older version which had Photo Station. @Carlo

The reason I'm doing this is because my LG OLED isn't able to play mp4 videos it seems, at least not the ones recorded with my Samsung Galaxy S22. So I was hoping to get around this problem with emby. But I didn't expect this to be so complex. And anyway I'm still stuck on square one because I can't figure out how to add the emby user to the folder permissions :(

You should have been updated to Synology Photos as Photo Station was DSM 6 and not meant to be used on DSM 7.x.
Do you not have Synology Photos?

With Photos you can setup where the data is stored and who each user shares with.  So you would set it up to share with user emby or a group that emby is part of.

https://kb.synology.com/en-global/DSM/tutorial/What_are_the_differences_between_Photos_Photo_Station_Moments

Info on DSM 7.2
https://www.synology.com/en-us/DSM72

• 4 weeks later...
ProfMeowington

Finally found a solution to my problem. You can't just simply add the Emby user to the shared access folder "photo" and the subfolders in Synology Photos. What I had to do was "Convert to Windows ACL" which allowed me to set customized permissions. After that I was able to add Emby, and now it is working. I just hope nothing else got messed up by doing so.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
MBRoyKent

uh... help?

I'm in the same sitch with @ProfMeowington

Running on a DS920+, DSM 7.2-64570 Update 1;

All files updated to current versions (Emby server: Version 4.7.13.0 Emby Server is up to date)

Can't get Emby to recognize / load my Home videos & photos; i'm sure it's a permission issue, but I've gone thru and made sure that Emby has permissions (photos attached)

Notice that I'll create the Home Videos & Photos library, then go to Folders, then I can click thru my NAS shared folders and choose "Photos".  However, if I try to go one step further within Photos and choose MobileBackup, I'll instantly get a blank selection screen (photos attached).  I'm thinking this is due to a permissions problem in the folders within Photos (maybe they're not shared folders??)

help?

permissions.png

emby4.png

emby3.png

emby2.png

emby library.png

MBRoyKent

Or could this be the problem..... my home photos and videos on my NAS are "owned" by Synology Photos!

Sorry i'm not a sw developer, just a regular dude with a NAS that's fun but sometimes I'm in over my head.

permissions 2.png

MBRoyKent

so far not well, still getting nothing imported into EMby :(

anythoughts so far, or can I give you more information?  Screenshots?

MBRoyKent

ok got it.  In WIndows 11, I went into the properties of the Photos folder on my NAS, and basically gave everyone permission to read that folder.  Stupid? Maybe.  But it's now loading all my movies and photos into Emby.  So as long as Emby doesn't botnet my computer (!) I think I should be ok!

MBRoyKent

Well, I believe I have done that  (see the screen shot in my post above, it's the 1st pic: "Edit shared folder 'photo'" (and I assume it would pass the permission to child (enclosed) folders).  The enclosed folders (e.g. MobileBackup) are not Synology "Shared" folders, but I don't think they have to be; that is, I'd rather not make them all root-level, Synology Shared Folders.

Anyway, I did what you did, with the Windows ACL thing, and it seems to be working!  Although I wonder at what cost, giving "everyone" (within windows within my LAN) access.  I'm at home so I'm not too worried, but still...

ProfMeowington

That's what I meant, do you need to give permissions to everyone, why not just Emby? I think that's what I ended up doing. I'm not sure which screenshot you meant.