HVEC-issues on LG CX (transcoding question)

Halo82

Halo82

Hey all!

I'm a pleased user of Emby for a while now and bought a lifetime subscription recently.
I use it on a plethora of devices and in gerneral playback is mostly fine or even great, I used both Jellyfin and Plex before and so far Emby is far superior imho.

One thing that always seems to be a bit of a pain in the a** seems to be proper transcoding (or maybe I'm simply missing something). So I'd like to ask for a bit of support on this topic.

One of my biggest problems is that there does not seem to be any by-user-setting for transcoding. For instance I have a LG CX-series TV in the bedroom which famously has issues with some HVEC-files (I use the Emby-app). So the easy fix would be to simply transcode *every* HVEC-file.
But the only setting I found to achieve this is to set the bandwidth on the client so low, that the resulting quality is basically potato-level (720p 3 Mbps). Even though I'm not that concerned with quality on this particular device, 720p on a 4k-Display simply looks awful.

I'd much rather just set this account to always be transcoded to say 1080p 10 Mbps AVC/x264, no matter the input codec, and be done with it. 

Is there any setting I didn't see or anything else you guys recommend in a case like this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by Halo82

GrimReaper
39 minutes ago, Halo82 said:

I'd much rather just set this account to always be transcoded to say 1080p 10 Mbps AVC/x264, no matter the input codec, and be done with it. 

Is there any setting I didn't see

No, you didn't miss anything, there is no such feature (though some client apps have Playback correction feature which effectively produces same result, remux/transcoding without decreasing bitrate - unfortunately LG doesn't). 

You can lend your support here:

SamES
4 hours ago, Halo82 said:

Hey all!

I'm a pleased user of Emby for a while now and bought a lifetime subscription recently.
I use it on a plethora of devices and in gerneral playback is mostly fine or even great, I used both Jellyfin and Plex before and so far Emby is far superior imho.

One thing that always seems to be a bit of a pain in the a** seems to be proper transcoding (or maybe I'm simply missing something). So I'd like to ask for a bit of support on this topic.

One of my biggest problems is that there does not seem to be any by-user-setting for transcoding. For instance I have a LG CX-series TV in the bedroom which famously has issues with some HVEC-files (I use the Emby-app). So the easy fix would be to simply transcode *every* HVEC-file.
But the only setting I found to achieve this is to set the bandwidth on the client so low, that the resulting quality is basically potato-level (720p 3 Mbps). Even though I'm not that concerned with quality on this particular device, 720p on a 4k-Display simply looks awful.

I'd much rather just set this account to always be transcoded to say 1080p 10 Mbps AVC/x264, no matter the input codec, and be done with it. 

Is there any setting I didn't see or anything else you guys recommend in a case like this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Can you share an example of a file that fails and the full TV model number?  Any logs would also be useful

If we can identify the cause of playback issues then we might be able to make adjustments so that these files automatically transcode in those case.

• 2 weeks later...
Ninja_Gundam

I have similar problem but AV1 file on LG OLED55CX6LA v5.4.2-25. This video for example just load forever, even changing quality do not works in my case.

20230607_232150.heic

It's a YouTube video. On android and pc works ok.

Chooo

SamES
20 minutes ago, Ninja_Gundam said:

I have similar problem but AV1 file on LG OLED55CX6LA v5.4.2-25. This video for example just load forever, even changing quality do not works in my case.

20230607_232150.heic 1.39 MB · 1 download

It's a YouTube video. On android and pc works ok.

Chooo

Can you PM a link to me so that I can download this media file for testing?  Thanks

• Agree 1