Plugin Description in Detail

ak96ss
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

ak96ss

I would find it extremely useful to have a description of exactly what a plugin does when I click on it, rather than just "This plugin has no settings to configure" or even the ones that do have configuration options. It would also be very useful (to me) to know if it is installed by default when Emby is installed.

For example, the ScripterX plugin I just uninstalled: I didn't install it, as I struggle to even think of a use case where I would need it, nor do I recall seeing it before all the vulnerability mess blew up. The 'wiki' for ScripterX is nonexistent (sorry, being updated...), so I have no clue why it was on my system. All I can find online is much talk about writing scripts to do things when Emby does things, but since I have no interest in automagically posting on Twitter when I watch a TV episode (does anyone really care? Why would you think anyone cares that you watched an episode of anything?) I don't find that terribly useful. Or the OMDb plugin - what is that?

This has been a concern for me before, but all of this reminded me that it has bugged me for a while. I'd rather not just uninstall things and see what breaks, since it probably won't break until the family sits down to watch a movie and I would then get to go fix the server...

• Like 1

• Solution

Hi.  The descriptions are available in the catalog listings.  So, go to the catalog and select the plug-in from there.

image.png

But its not a bad idea to have some access to this somehow from the installed plugins page.

• Like 1

ak96ss

That's nice, never noticed that, so thanks.

It would be nice to be able to search for plugins in the catalog, instead of having to guess what category a plugin falls into and scrolling through them to find it, or am I missing that feature as well?  ;)

Thanks.

• Agree 2

Vicpa

Hi @ebr

Two related thoughts.

1) Maybe add a badge (the emby icon?) to the plugin icon shown in the server for those plugins that emby controls and installs. As noted above there is no easy way to identify them.

2) Perhaps in the future require all plugins to have a description page as part of their code?

-vicpa

• Agree 1

ak96ss

I like those ideas, particularly given the limited description on the plugin catalog page for some plugins, or even a complete lack of a corresponding catalog page.

"MyAnimeList" description is literally "MyAnimeList" - what does that do?  (I don't actually care to know, just the first example I found).

And back to my first comment, that Scripter-X plugin that was magically installed on my machine without any action on my part... It would be nice to know which plugins Emby takes it upon itself to install and which ones are not required for the basic service to work.