How to re-enable admin user in Emby?

MikeOcch
Go to solution Solved by MikeOcch,

MikeOcch

Emby (Premier License) 4.7.12.0 installed on Synology DSM 7.1 with only local network access.

Admin user(s) no longer appear on login "Please Sign In" page.

I suspect the push out of a recent update (Security Advisory 2023-05-25) disabled all accounts without passwords - which caused a loss in admin access to Emby Server if the only admin user was without password.

We have full access to Synology NAS.  We have uninstalled and installed latest version of Emby.  We have found no offending plugins.  We experienced no shut down due to the recent security issue. Non-admin Emby users can access Emby without problems.

Is there any way to re-enable the user with admin privileges?

If a total uninstall and new install is the only solution then please advise proper procedure.  After uninstall via Synology Package Center the Emby data files remain in /volume1/Emby folder.  I wonder if as long as these files exist subsequent installs of Emby will use that data and NOT start the startup wizard...

Thanks for your help!

Uninstalling Emby does not remove the config files. Thus if you reinstall, you will not loose previous information!

note: the default parent folder for Emby Server is /volume1/@appdata/EmbyServer

The admin account should not show up on the quick login screen. Use the manual login and you will be able to type both the username and password.

Let us know if that helped.
Carlo

Hi. It hasn't disabled the account. It’s only hidden it from login screens. Try entering the username and password manually.

MikeOcch

THANKS! for the quick replies - I imagine you all are VERY BUSY and it's the weekend... so I very much appreciate the help!!!  I will try to be detailed here so if someone else has this same problem then this thread can be a helpful reference.

Some additional info:

This Synology system was migrated from DSM6 to DSM7 and there might have been earlier DSM versions as well as Emby migrations along the way - this Emby support forum was extremely helpful during these migrations.  Emby on Synology has been GREAT and well worth the Premier license fee.

The ONLY admin user for this Emby install was "Embysrvr"  - I am pretty sure that is the accurate spelling - this admin user name is a carryover from the early days of Emby installed on Synology.  This admin user DID NOT have a password (I know! scold me later please...)   This "Embysrvr" admin user showed up on the "Please Sign In" page until a few days ago.  Now we only see a couple of users (that have passwords but no admin access), "Manual Login", and "Forgot Password ... no more "Embysrvr" admin user.

I tried "Manual Login" for "Embysrvr" without password as well as "embysrvr" without password - resulting in "Sign In Error  Invalid username or password. Please try again."

I enabled SSH, signed into PuTTY, "sudo -i" for root, navigated to /var/packages/EmbyServer/var/  to be ready for the passwordreset.txt

I then tried "Forgot Password" for "Embysrvr" and followed directions - back in PuTTY cat the file to get the URL and PIN.  Result was "Password Reset  Passwords have been removed for the following users. To login, sign in with a blank password."  NOTICE that the message did not include a user name.  Tried "Manual Login" with "Embysrvr" without password resulting in "Sign In Error Invalid username or password. Please try again."  Repeated with "embysrvr" user name with same results.

I also shut down the Emby server using the Synology Package Center (because I have no Emby admin access) and restarted - just to see... - same results.

Any other suggestions?

BTW: Lessons learned = have at least 2 admin accounts, both with good passwords 😳 

• Solution
MikeOcch

UPDATE:  FIXED!  the spelling of my admin user name was wrong - HOW EMBARRASSING IS THAT?!  Luke is absolutely correct - the admin user was hidden but not disabled.  THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!

• Like 1