Are the beta versions safe?

Tsch3ns
Go to solution Solved by seanbuff,

Tsch3ns

I am runnig the Premiere version 4.8.0.19 beta on my Synology DSM 6. Regarding the current safety issue: is this safe? Should I update to the most current beta? Can I install the (hopefully!) soon awaited 4.7.12 without uninstalling the beta? What should I do? I dont have remote access enabled but I would like to be safe in any case.

Thx,

Jens

Edited by Tsch3ns

• Solution
seanbuff
5 minutes ago, Tsch3ns said:

I am runnig the Premiere version 4.8.0.19 beta on my Synology DSM 6

the beta was fixed in version 4.8.0.31, so yes you are far behind and should upgrade to the latest 4.8.0.37

6 minutes ago, Tsch3ns said:

Can I install the (hopefully!) soon awaited 4.7.12 without uninstalling the beta?

You cannot go from beta 4.8.x to stable 4.7.0.12 due to major database changes. You would need to start from scratch if you wanted to move to stable at this point.

• Like 3

FYI: 

Until this is solved there won't be a 4.7.12 for DSM 6, so I would strongly suggest updating to DSM 7 if you can.

• Like 1

Tsch3ns

Can’t update since I have a Kopano Mail system running on it as well and Kopano is not compatible with DSM 7.

3 hours ago, Luke said:

FYI: 

Until this is solved there won't be a 4.7.12 for DSM 6, so I would strongly suggest updating to DSM 7 if you can.

Im on DSM 6 and beta .34. Do you still plan to update the BETAs for DSM 6 because I have no plans to move to 7. 

Just now, DJX said:

Im on DSM 6 and beta .34. Do you still plan to update the BETAs for DSM 6 because I have no plans to move to 7. 

Yes, we plan to and we'd like to support DSM 6, but we currently can't due to the issue that I linked to in that topic. Please read that for more info. We posted an issue on Synology's github repo, and I emailed our Synology contact about it, and so far no response from either.

• Like 1

Just now, Luke said:

Yes, we plan to and we'd like to support DSM 6, but we currently can't due to the issue that I linked to in that topic. Please read that for more info. We posted an issue on Synology's github repo, and I emailed our Synology contact about it, and so far no response from either.

Understood and I'm hopeful the build issue will resolve to let you build again. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 1:07 PM, Tsch3ns said:

Can’t update since I have a Kopano Mail system running on it as well and Kopano is not compatible with DSM 7.

You might want to look at replacing Kopano as they are moving in a different direction these days.
If you need to stick with it, you might want to consider porting over to the Debian version which you could run in docker or a VM if needed. Alternately you could run a VM version of DSM 6 and be able to update the main NAS OS to 7.2.

DSM 7, 7.1, 7.2 fixed a lot of vulnerabilities that should make you want to get of DSM 6 as quick as possible to avoid unneeded risks.

Ninja_Gundam
On 5/26/2023 at 6:17 PM, Luke said:

FYI: 

Thx to let me know! Uff too bad i have an old model of synology now 😐 but I can't afford new one. Hope they will  AT LEAST let sviluppators to continue builds on DSM 6, .34 was there, now not, it's not a good thing to force like this on new models >_<  Not emby's fault team obvious.

Chooo