how do I rid myself of the orange banners at the top of every page?

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

While I understand the importance of what has been discovered and the importance of letting people know about the problem I do not understand why, once I have read the message, the ugly orange banners cannot be removed.

It seems there is no purpose to continuously slap your users in the face with the warning.

You have shown concern for your users by exposing and detailing the problem and the fix now show some more concern by allowing the message to be suppressed.

Thank You.

We apologize but it is very important information and this particular delivery mechanism is persistent.  It has only been a few hours.  You should expect that it may stay there for a day or two.

Thanks.

Gilgamesh_48
19 minutes ago, ebr said:

We apologize but it is very important information and this particular delivery mechanism is persistent.  It has only been a few hours.  You should expect that it may stay there for a day or two.

Thanks.

I do understand the importance but, at least on other sites, important messages like that can be dismissed after they are read. While it is important that everyone get notified I believe that such message should be able to be hidden once they have been read.

Even Plex, when they want to notify their users of something, will put the same kind of banner at the top of the screen in their forums but in Plex's forums, such banners have a close X at the top right and once the banner is closed that user will not see them again.

Your customer service and your customer relations are so much superior that I am very very VERY surprised that your "important message" banner cannot be dismissed even for the current session.

The message is important but so is the comfort of users unaffected by the bug or those that have taken measures to fix the bug on their system.
Somehow there should be a way to remove them after they have been read. It is just good customer service to warn about bugs like this one but it is also good customer service to allow users to suppress the banners after the problem has been taken care of.

I "think" my add blocker may be able to suppress the banners but I should not have to take any action.

Thank you again.

Edit: I was correct and my add blocker will suppress those banners. I just have to remember to remove the rule in a few days. That is easier on my nerves than seeing those banners every time I call up the page.

Once more, Thank you

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

6 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Even Plex, when they want to notify their users of something, will put the same kind of banner at the top of the screen in their forums but in Plex's forums, such banners have a close X at the top right and once the banner is closed that user will not see them again.

We do have that option as well, but this not a notification matters, it a must to do, and we need to insure it stay up there.

6 hours ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

Edit: I was correct and my add blocker will suppress those banners. I just have to remember to remove the rule in a few days. That is easier on my nerves than seeing those banners every time I call up the page.

Once more, Thank you

At least we know you fully read it :)

Thanks.

Gilgamesh_48
13 minutes ago, Abobader said:

We do have that option as well, but this not a notification matters, it a must to do, and we need to insure it stay up there.

At least we know you fully read it :)

Thanks.

While it is important to users that allow remote access or, maybe, to users that have something exposed to the internet or that have multiple users but I have none of those and once I saw that message and made sure it did not apply to me that message should go away and stay away. And YES I believe it was important enough to force a first showing but I cannot believe that there is any valid reason why, once it has been read by a user, that user has to see it again and again.

This seems, for me, to be an unwanted intrusion. I like getting warned as needed but I do not have to be warned again and again and again about the same thing. I have solved the problem for me and I no longer see those ugly orange blobs every time I enter the forums. It is an intrusion I do not need. Now, since I had to fix it by blocking those things as if they were ads so I must remember to turn the blocking off in a few days because there could be a message I need to see.

One more time: I like getting forewarned about problems but, once I have read the message, there is no reason to show it to me again and again.

But I am also sure nothing will change and I can look forward to more intrusions in my life like these in the future.
At least I now know what to do when it happens again.

Lastly this is your board and I can have no real effect on it but that bright blob at the top of the screen actually hurts my eyes and makes the rest of the screen hard to read.

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh_48 said:

but that bright blob at the top of the screen actually hurts my eyes and makes the rest of the screen hard to read.

Yes buddy, it hurts my eyes as well, I will try to remove the bold for fonts to see if that help.

As you said, you used ad blocking and work for you, just keep using it for few days for this site, it will be removed at some point.

Thanks.

Gilgamesh_48
7 minutes ago, justinrh said:

Hmm, it looks red to me.  Does my monitor need color calibration?

Probably not. My old eyes sometimes shifts bright colors. Also my old eyes are very forgiving of normal video problems so none of my TVs or monitors are ever color calibrated. Now brightness and contrast are important to me but as long as the colors are close to correct I do not worry about them.