DSM 7.2 and SSD volume - 918+

kaj
Go to solution Solved by kaj,

kaj

@CarloAs DSM7.2 is now out, will it affect the 2 SSD volume hack you help me with on the 918+?

image.thumb.png.72b06f76bb83a8b64852b2e1a7571152.png

Or should it be good to go?

Thanks

5 hours ago, kaj said:

@CarloAs DSM7.2 is now out, will it affect the 2 SSD volume hack you help me with on the 918+?

image.thumb.png.72b06f76bb83a8b64852b2e1a7571152.png

Or should it be good to go?

Thanks

You should be just fine.

• Thanks 1

kaj
27 minutes ago, Carlo said:

You should be just fine.

Hi Carlo. Found this post on Reddit that suggests I may need to run a script

• Solution
kaj

Bit the bullet and went ahead and manually installed DSM7.2. I stopped Emby first, download the beta .37 package for DSM7.2, ran the script from here, and then ran the DSM update. Nerve-racking as I'm 2500km from my server.

Everything installed as expected. Checked my SSD volume 2. It's still there, health good, but showing:

image.png.3cf3149f3a6018b9a223b01c25937d29.png

As it's all working this is not a problem, as showing this in the Storage Manager. Maybe another reboot of the NAS might sort this out, some have said that works.

image.png.688e061039324add688d62da46187b80.png

Then installed Emby beta .37, which went without a hitch. Had to run a library rescan to pick up content that had been added while I was installing the updated .37 package.

Also, all my docker containers moved and ran automatically in the new Container Manager app.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

DarWun
19 hours ago, kaj said:

Also, all my docker containers moved and ran automatically in the new Container Manager app.

@kajMy experience was pretty much the same when I upgraded to DSM 7.2 on my DS918+. I do have a question pertaining the migration of docker containers to the new Container Manager app though. I had docker packages pinned to the DSM desktop pre-upgrade. They persisted when I upgraded to the RC version of DSM 7.2. But after upgrading to the final release from RC, they disappeared. And for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to pin the containers to the desktop after they were migrated to the new Container Manager app. I was planning on posting to the Synology forums to see if I could find a solution. But since you specifically mentioned docker container migration to the new app, I thought I'd ask about it on the off-chance you had some insight.

Edited by DarWun

kaj
3 hours ago, DarWun said:

@kajMy experience was pretty much the same when I upgraded to DSM 7.2 on my DS918+. I do have a question pertaining the migration of docker containers to the new Container Manager app though. I had docker packages pinned to the DSM desktop pre-upgrade. They persisted when I upgraded to the RC version of DSM 7.2. But after upgrading to the final release from RC, they disappeared. And for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to pin the containers to the desktop after they were migrated to the new Container Manager app. I was planning on posting to the Synology forums to see if I could find a solution. But since you specifically mentioned docker container migration to the new app, I thought I'd ask about it on the off-chance you had some insight.

@DarWunI didn't have any shortcuts on my desktop. sorry can't help. I did look on my system and, like you, couldn't see any way to do this.

• Thanks 1

I've never pinned containers to the desktop in Synology either so I'm not of help.  I'd make a post in their forums to ask how this could be done on 7.2.

Concerning the DSM 7.2 upgrade for anyone who followed my instructions previously to allow use of NVMe drives as volumes you have nothing to worry about. The GUI still won't show things correctly but the volume(s) created will work just like they did on 7.0 and 7.1.

Be aware that DSM 7.2 will require a new build of Emby Server built for this which you can down from or normal download site.  All you need to do is apply the DSM 7.2 to the Synology system followed by the installation of the new 7.2 build of Emby Server and you're set.

Carlo

• Thanks 2

DarWun
On 5/25/2023 at 6:03 AM, Carlo said:

I've never pinned containers to the desktop in Synology either so I'm not of help.  I'd make a post in their forums to ask how this could be done on 7.2.

Just in case this is of any use to other users, the ability to pin docker containers to the DSM desktop was removed with the latest update to Container Manager. To do that now, you have to create the desktop shortcut through Web Station. This is apparently a security improvement. I don't have Web Station installed. And I see no reason to do so just to create a desktop shortcut to a docker container. I have to do some research to determine whether or not there are any downsides to installing Web Station on a server that I've purposely blocked channels  allowing remote access from the internet.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
usnscpo

I used Carlo's instructions to create a single NVME storage pool (which has been great).  My 920+ notified me that DSM 7.2 was available for my model, so I updated DSM and just downloaded and installed the most recent Emby for DSM 7.2.  DSM runs fine and Emby runs fine.  However, my NVME storage pool was broken. 

Storage Manager now reports "the NVME was missing but a sufficient number of drives have been detected.  Please click 'Online Assembly' to assemble the storage pool and access the data on the drive." 

I'd rather not have to go back and recreate and setup the NVME storage pool all over again.

Should I run the github script linked in this thread?  Should I go ahead and "Online Assemble" the drive?  Both? or not at all.

As always, thank you for the great support!

Chris

I would run the script, yes 

Also, which version did you box install. There is a newer version ( which I haven't installed yet) and that version has an additional patch to install too 

usnscpo

Thanks Kaj.  I ran the DSM 7.2 version update that popped up on my 920+ server last night.  I haven't been presented with a 7.2 update until last night.  Although 7.2 has been released and patched, I didn't want to update until my box said there was one ready for the 920+  Then I updated the newest 64-bit Emby for Synology 7.2+ from their download page.  I went ahead and tried the online assembly and it didn't work.  Will run the script tomorrow.  Does it matter that I'll be running the script after I've already updated everything?

Cheers!

9 hours ago, usnscpo said:

Does it matter that I'll be running the script after I've already updated everything?

Cheers!

Shouldn't matter. Set up the script to run at boot, then reboot

Tremas

Hi @usnscpo. Did running the script work for you? I'm in a similar boat after upgrading today. Haven't run the online assembly yet. Just wondering if I have to set up the whole cache drive again, or if I can just recover.

• 2 months later...
chinswain

Hi all,

I sucessfully followed the guide (DS918+) but after a recent reboot the drives vanished, with a message: "A drive (Cache device 1, Cache device 2) cannot be used because it is incompatible with the current device. Please insert it in the original device to continue using the drive, or contact Synology Technical Support for assistance."

I ran this script and restarted which has resolved it:

https://github.com/007revad/Synology_HDD_db

I've set it to run on startup as recommended.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
heffeque

If your NAS is connected to a UPS, I'd use the SSD as the official way: SSD read/write + btrfs metadata cache.

There's barely any difference in performance vs SSD volume on anything but huge files, and you won't get into trouble when updating.