“This Emby Server Needs to be Updated” Error when server is up to date

talkshowhost

talkshowhost

So i recently migrated all of my media files from 1) various hard drives on an old PC to 2) NUC with an External USB storage device to 3) a NUC with a new synology DS1821 (the 1821 is just a file server).  Emby runs on the NUC - a 12th gen i5.

emby worked flawlessly for years on 1), for a couple weeks on 2), but has not worked at all on 3).

i can access and play my files just fine on Embys web app on the NUC, but i get the error message in the title anytime i try to access the server from a localclient on my  network:  iOS and Roku devices.   When i try to connect, I get a message saying  “The Emby Server needs to be updated” with instructions to download the latest version.  However, when i go to the server, it says it’s up to date.  The client apps are also up to date.  I disabled my vpn, so that’s not a problem.  I have plex running on the same server and it can access media on the synology  just fine.  Any ideas what the problem could be?  I’m assuming there is just a setting i need to adjust somewhere.  

I have tried deleting the sever from the clients, but it won’t let me.  If i try to add a new server with the same IP address, when i enter my userID and password it tells me they are incorrect, even though they are correct. 

I have not yet tried uninstalling Emby on the server and reinstalling it, but it took forever to scan the library after i deleted the old folders and added the new ones, so I’d like to avoid that if possible, but that is one step i have not tried yet.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

Hello talkshowhost,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

talkshowhost
1 hour ago, Luke said:

HI, what version of Emby Server are you running?

Thanks for the reply…

talkshowhost

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Hi there, that's strange. Can you please attach the emby server log from when this happened?

Thanks.

So i got impatient and reinstalled emby and it’s working fine now for files that are on my  NUCs hard drive.  However, emby is no longer seeing the synology NAS.  Last time, it showed up immediately as the “S:” drive, but now it’s not.  

I’ve tried using the instructions here, but it says the path can’t be found.

any suggestions?  Thanks!

22 minutes ago, talkshowhost said:

So i got impatient and reinstalled emby and it’s working fine now for files that are on my  NUCs hard drive.  However, emby is no longer seeing the synology NAS.  Last time, it showed up immediately as the “S:” drive, but now it’s not.  

Hi, what exactly do you mean by "no longer seeing" ? 

FrostByte
26 minutes ago, talkshowhost said:

@talkshowhostThose instructions are for people running Emby server on their Synology NAS.  Otherwise you won't have an Emby system internal user.  Also, the path is an example on my NAS, the actual path would be different for everyone.

talkshowhost
2 hours ago, FrostByte said:

@talkshowhostThose instructions are for people running Emby server on their Synology NAS.  Otherwise you won't have an Emby system internal user.  Also, the path is an example on my NAS, the actual path would be different for everyone.

Yes i understood the path was an example, but i can’t figure out how to enter the path in a way Emby will accept.

the sever is named “DS1821” and the folder  is on volume 1, which is named “Synology.”  The shared drive is in a folder “Media” and sub folder named “Films.”

so for folder i entered: /Synology/Media/Films

and for the Shared Network folder i entered:

\\DS1821\Media\Films 

however that didn’t work.  Could you advice on the proper format?

jaycedk

Can you from your server see \\DS1821\Media\Films in your explore.

image.png.9988758a1daf4cc04b28fa55c984856d.png

14 hours ago, talkshowhost said:

Yes i understood the path was an example, but i can’t figure out how to enter the path in a way Emby will accept.

the sever is named “DS1821” and the folder  is on volume 1, which is named “Synology.”  The shared drive is in a folder “Media” and sub folder named “Films.”

so for folder i entered: /Synology/Media/Films

and for the Shared Network folder i entered:

\\DS1821\Media\Films 

however that didn’t work.  Could you advice on the proper format?

Is this the full path that you see when using the Synology file browser?

/Synology/Media/Films

• 3 weeks later...
kmjayadeep

This is probably unrelated to your issue. But I had to post this here because it was so weird...

I was scratching my head for days how to resolve this issue of throwing “This Emby Server Needs to be Updated” Error when server is up to date. My version was 4.8.0.39 beta and it was the latest available version. It was running as a pod in kubernetes. I tried running the exact same version in standalone docker and it worked. After hours of debugging network calls using mitmproxy and clearing data multiple times, i found the issue.

Guess what? You cant name your server "Jellyfin" !!!

I used jellyfin before and just replaced the image in the pod spec to use emby. It worked fine, but i didn't bother changing the pod name. So the server name was automatically configured to be `jellyfin-randomhash`. And for some weird reason, Android app assumes that I'm not running Emby :). Literally any name except `jellyfin` works as the server name.

thornbill
On 6/10/2023 at 5:47 AM, kmjayadeep said:

Literally any name except `jellyfin` works as the server name.

If it’s the same check from when the Jellyfin project started, anything starting with “jell” will be blocked.