MKV Support on Apple TV

steeplebadger

steeplebadger

Hello Emby folk

I want to move from Shield Pro to Apple TV 4K for non-Emby reasons. All my BD and 4K media is in MKV containers - taking advantage of multsubtitles, etc.

I am having problems playing anything 4K and some things BD on Emby Apple which all play fine on Emby Android/Shield.

Are these still the only containers supported?

Direct Play Media Formats

Video — h.264,h.265 (hevc) in m4v,mp4,mov container
Subtitles - srt,ssa,ass,sub,vtt
Audio – aac,ac3 (Dolby Digital),mp3

Hi, the app can play mkv, but it embeds a third party player for this due to the apple native player only supporting mp4.

a5ian300zx

Just use infuse player and sync it with emby, plex or jellyfin. 

I have mine linked to emby and works great, the Emby app on apple tv is the really old gui version. I have two apple tvs and shield tv pro inc firestick max. I prefer the apple TVs as they just work and now support hdr10+ and are much more powerful. 

steeplebadger

I have tried the MPV setting but still have no joy getting it to direct play MKV. It transcodes 50% of the time.
After searching this forum, I am assuming this is due to a) incorrect default audio track (DTS, etc.) or b) HEVC encoding
Before I start posting actual examples with logs, can I just check what encoding and container settings need to be.
@a5ian300zxThanks for the suggestion, I will try infuse but I really like Emby and would probably just switch back to Shield Pro if I cannot get it to do the job on Apple TV.