In need of recommendations for storage

Kyouma

Another reason to use SCSI was that with IDE and its Interrupt 13 arbitration, Windows often came to hang for short (or longer) moments. 

When it comes to reliability you really need to look at the MODELS,  NOT just the manufacture. 
Most all brands have good and bad models! 

• Agree 1

Ronstang
2 hours ago, TMCsw said:

When it comes to reliability you really need to look at the MODELS,  NOT just the manufacture. 

I agree with this but I am sorry, if a company has bitten me more than once with different models I don't care how good people claim the newer version is, I can't and won't trust them especially when there are many companies out there that haven't bitten me and Seagate has left me with dead drives on more occasions than any other brand.  A failure is just that, multiple failures is a trend.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ronstang said:

I agree with this but I am sorry, if a company has bitten me more than once with different models I don't care how good people claim the newer version is, I can't and won't trust them especially when there are many companies out there that haven't bitten me and Seagate has left me with dead drives on more occasions than any other brand.  A failure is just that, multiple failures is a trend.

I think the same - my own "blacklist" of manufacturers was just a little different.

12 hours ago, TMCsw said:

That's true unfortunately. Even though what you actually want are manufacturers which you can trust to provide a decent level of quality without doing research before each purchase.

Ronstang
12 hours ago, softworkz said:

I think the same - my own "blacklist" of manufacturers was just a little different.

As would be expected.  Different people experience different things depending upon random sampling and factors like models used, how you use them, heat etc. and in your case you were talking about drives from many years ago and you had SCSI.  All I ever had were IDE and SATA and the newer SATA drives seem to be  more reliable on the whole except for Seagate for me.  I have 3 WD 500GB drives that are over a decade old that still work and some were in machines on all the time until recently.  By far the largest heap of drives I have are Hitachi and those have been rock solid for me for over a decade.  I have a drive in my hand that is dated 2010...still works fine but its an on the shelf archive drive now.