Change Image to thumbnail for tv show in "next up" on homescreen

joshinils

joshinils

I've noticed that when both a blank *.png and a *-fanart.png exist for an episode, the fanart shows up as the thumbnail for the next to watch episode.
I use the *-fanart.png instead of a *-backdrop.png since those do not show up per episode on a TV show.

The *.png is used as a thumbnail when looking at the season by itself, it seems to be handled the same as if I were to name the images *-thumb.png

However, on the home screen the fanart image used as backdrop is too small to recognize any detail, since I made them to be a backdrop, not a thumbnail.

(
    I use a small script which generates thumbnails via ffmpeg, made up of a nxn grid of images at a regular interval over the whole file.
    https://github.com/joshinils/bin_shell/blob/master/gen_thumbs
    Then I create a thumbnail with a 4x4 grid, and a backdrop with a 11x11 grid, thus containing more detail with "smaller" sub-images which are not recognizable in the home-screen, but look good as a backdrop.
)

GrimReaper

To be honest, I haven't understood what are you using for what purpose and how do you name them and what is your request about. Care to share an example? 

joshinils

Yeah, sorry about my wording, English is not my native language, and this is not so easy to describe.

For Season 1 of Dr. House I have watched episodes 1 to 5, so #6 shows up on my home screen in section "Next Up (legacy)" like this:
image.png.22ef95cb2593dd1a0a4ae48a1261da76.png
The files for ep6 are these:
data/fernsehen/Dr. House_2004/Dr. House_S01_2004/Dr. House S01E06 The Socratic Method.mkv
data/fernsehen/Dr. House_2004/Dr. House_S01_2004/Dr. House S01E06 The Socratic Method-320-10.bif
data/fernsehen/Dr. House_2004/Dr. House_S01_2004/Dr. House S01E06 The Socratic Method-fanart.png
data/fernsehen/Dr. House_2004/Dr. House_S01_2004/Dr. House S01E06 The Socratic Method-thumb.png

Dr. House S01E06 The Socratic Method-fanart.png is a 11x11 image, shown above.

When I look at the episode details, this is what I see:
image.thumb.png.f731fdddf853c90e15673dedf3b0836d.png
The thumbnail is "Dr. House S01E06 The Socratic Method-thumb.png", the background is "Dr. House S01E06 The Socratic Method-fanart.png".
I tried both with and without the "-thumb", that made no difference.

Looking in the season details, this is what is shown for ep6:
image.png.4dba31cdd5d05863fe1c14571ca58243.png

I'd like to see the same thumbnail in the "Next Up", not the fanart.
I'd be fine with seeing any other default image like the season poster of the series poster, or the series fanart, but not the episode fanart.

For another Series, "Twin Peaks", it shows only the landscape.jpg on Next Up, which is located in the series folder.
For Twin Peaks, I have only generated the 4x4 Thumbnails, no fanart.
image.png.c64b5eeb49707a06c1308483082990ed.png
image.thumb.png.f8896f9c493a03353a3f5cf8cee9e39b.png

Which is why there is the default background for every screen (overview, season, episode) in the series.

GrimReaper

Now I get you. Had discussion about images used in Continue Watching/Next Up rows just recently in this thread:

After several tests, this is the conclusion I've come to:

On 4/16/2023 at 1:57 PM, GrimReaper said:

After testing all combinations of images at series/episode levels, CW/NU rows get episode image in following fallback order:

1. Episode landscape

2. Series thumb

3. Episode fanart

4. Series fanart

5. Episode thumb (primary-type image) 

6. Series poster 

As 1. and 3. are never present by default - upon import/identify/image fetching, unless assigned manually - basically default behavior is 2->4->5->6, which are scraped automatically (if available). Lack of any of those (or addition of other types) causes behavior to be adjusted accordingly. 

Since you have episode fanart present, it takes precedence over episode thumb (which is assigned as Primary-type image by Emby). For that thumb to show in your CW/NU rows, you have to manually assign it as episode landscape (thumb-type image) for that particular episode, as there is no naming convention for such images so Emby won't do it automatically, all of which is explained in detail (with proposed solutions) in the above linked topic. Also, you can download series thumb and that will show instead. 

Edited by GrimReaper

joshinils

Ok, I added a series thumb, that works for me for now.

Is there a plan to add support for a naming convention for series episode backdrops, etc.?

What is the difference between thumb and landscape?
Is it just an alternative name for convenience?

Did you generate those "stickers" on the thumbs? The small "H.264 video" and "720 HD" etc.?
I'd like to have those too, at least if it's easy to do in a bash script.

Edited by joshinils

GrimReaper
12 minutes ago, joshinils said:

Is there a plan to add support for a naming convention for series episode backdrops, etc.?

Sorry, don't quite understand the question, as both Series and Episode backdrops are already supported:

Series & Season Images

Images are supported in both series and season folders. Below is a table of the supported image file names. Supported image extensions are jpg, jpeg, png and tbn.

Several image types support multiple file names. They are listed in the order that they're checked for.

Image Type Supported file names
Primary folder.ext
  poster.ext
  cover.ext
  default.ext
  show.ext (series folder only)
Art clearart.ext
Backdrop backdrop.ext, backdropX.ext
  fanart.ext, fanart-X.ext
  background.ext, background-X.ext
  art.ext, art-X.ext
  extrafanart (subfolder)/fanartX.ext
Banner banner.ext
Disc disc.ext
  cdart.ext
Logo logo.ext
Thumb thumb.ext
  landscape.ext

For backdrops, X represents a number, and you can have any amount of numbered backdrops. For example:

\TV
    \Glee (2009)
       backdrop.ext
       backdrop1.ext
       backdrop2.ext
       backdrop3.ext

For episodes, as you've already discovered, -fanart.ext works although not mentioned in the KB article. 

https://emby.media/support/articles/TV-Naming.html

What is the difference between thumb and landscape?
Is it just an alternative name for convenience?

Actually it is not, though it refers to the same thing, episode images in landscape orientation, however: episode thumb gets assigned as Primary-type image, not as Thumb-type image, leaving -landscape.ext to be actual thumb (Thumb-type image). But again, there's is no naming convention for that image type and that is what we're trying to get implemented, calling it "landscape" for differentiation. 

On 4/13/2023 at 11:39 PM, GrimReaper said:

as there are several image types discussed here, some rules for image terminology should be established:

- Series thumb: thumb.ext/landscape.ext image, series thumb-type image

- Episode thumb: <episodefilename>-thumb.ext, episode primary-type image

- Episode landscape: no naming convention, episode thumb-type image 

Did you generate those "stickers" on the thumbs? The small "H.264 video" and "720 HD" etc.?
I'd like to have those too, at least if it's easy to do in a bash script

Nope, those are CoverArt plugin Indicator Overlays, Craig's custom icons, you can find them in this topic:

Edited by GrimReaper