User's not allowed to manage the server cannot login via the webportal

Erdrick

Erdrick

I have an issue where users cannot login to the webportal unless I check the box that allows them to manage the server. The web login fails unless I check that box. I have users that I do not want to have access to that. Am I missing something here?

Erdrick

It says "Invalid username or password. Please try again.". As soon as I check the box to allow the user to manage the server (and save), it logs right in.

Edited by Erdrick

What other user permissions have you set or Emby server network options?

Erdrick

99% of everything I left default. I just noticed that the network setting has whitelist selected. Changed to blacklist, no change. This happens to all users on the system.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 145223.png

Screenshot 2023-05-17 145208.png

Erdrick

The fact that I can connect with that option activated, seems to suggest that the issue is within a setting in Emby, not my Synology settings.

Erdrick

Below is the only password option I see. Users are connecting from the WAN side of the network, via a URL, not an IP address. Although, that shouldn't have anything to do with this issue.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 152433.png

Edited by Erdrick

Erdrick

Here are the network settings, but not much in there and I don't believe I ever changed anything.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 153316.png

Screenshot 2023-05-17 153304.png

So maybe you're just entering the wrong password? I can't really think of anything else.

Are you possibly confusing the difference between local users on your server and our Emby Connect login?

Erdrick

No, I am using the Emby login information. I am not using Emby Connect login. This is direct connection to my home server via a web browser. The website remembers the password. The password is right because it works if I allow the user to manage the server. As soon as I uncheck "Allow user to manage the server" and save, the user can't login. It says "Invalid username or password. Please try again.". Recheck it and save, logs right in. It doesn't make sense. It is like it is functioning as the "Allow remote connections to this Emby server." checkbox. Is it possible they got swapped?

These users are friends and family, so I don't believe they would mess with the server setting but I would prefer to be able to not give them that access to protect them from themselves.

Edited by Erdrick

OK so you must have configured user device access. Try undoing that and granting them access to all devices.

The reason why it's working when they are admins is because admins are excluded from that filter.

Erdrick

If you could direct me to where that setting is, I would be forever grateful. I have gone through all the setting so many times. I don't see any setting that mentions that.

Erdrick

Never mind, I found it. That option is not there when the manage server option is selected. Thanks for all your help.

• Thanks 1