Emby Updates?

vferg

vferg

Wasnt really sure where to put general questions so I figured this area would be best, sorry if its the wrong place.  So Emby used to have regular updates, with the average being about a month or two tops.  So I am just curious, whats with the huge delay with recent updates?  Are they prepping for something big?  The last stable release I see is from December of last year and really even that update was just to fix a few things.  I love seeing new features and improvements made in the big releases so its been kind of boring lately.  I do see the github changelog and there is a lot of updates revolving around the beta, anyone know an ETA as to when that may be ready?

Gilgamesh_48

I can, as an outsider, that the Emby beta that is currently being tested has a few more bug that Emby needs to address.
However the wait will be worth it for many people as this beta is, performance wise for me, almost a quantum leap better than the release.

I am having failing health so I will move from Beta to Release as soon as the version numbers sync up. That is the only safe time to move from Beta to Release but the other way, as far as I know, is always safe so you could temporary go to the beta without much problem. If you choose to do that be aware that any Beta has inherent risks but right now this seems fine and the "bugs" I mentioned do not seem to impact the database or main functionality.

The only reason I am stopping using the Beta is because of my health and how my medications effect me.

But that is a lot more answer than you asked for, sorry. 😞

BTW: You could have put this in whatever main Emby server forum you wanted to as it is a question related to the server and Emby. But I could be wrong on that as I am often refereed to by the same "nickname" that Lore gave his creator, Dr. Noonien Soong.

Hi, yes there's a lot coming in the 4.8 server release, so stay tuned.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

How's it going?  Any new news on the release of 4.8?  Also I guess I should ask, will Synology 6 still be supported with 4.8?  If not I will plan to upgrade it soon, but I was just putting off dealing with upgrade issues as long as possible haha.

1 hour ago, vferg said:

How's it going?  Any new news on the release of 4.8?  Also I guess I should ask, will Synology 6 still be supported with 4.8?  If not I will plan to upgrade it soon, but I was just putting off dealing with upgrade issues as long as possible haha.

Hi, it will be but I would still suggest updating DSM.

• 2 weeks later...
vferg

Yup, thanks for the info but I already know.  I still have 9 months :).  I will probably plan to upgrade in spring or summer.  I am normally the type of person who likes to be on the latest, except when I know the update will probably cause me work trying to figure out what broke and then how to fix it...  I do this for a living and it's just not something I am not looking forward to dealing with.

Anyway, really excited to finally see version 4.8!  It has been forever since we had an update to 4.7 so I can barely wait any longer haha.