Amazon Fire TV "License Expired" error

RanmaCanada

RanmaCanada

Hey people, I did a search of the sub before posting for this and could not find any topics in relation to it.  I have a lifetime Premiere license and going to view content on my Fire TV 4k Max, which is on the same network as my server, I was presented with this error.

License Expired

We need to refresh the license for this app that you own, so please try again.

I have tried exiting the app, and restarting my firestick, all I get is this message when I try to use the Amazon Emby app on my Firestick 4k Max.  Is this an Amazon problem?  I ask because it works fine on my phone, my Roku and my PC.  The sideloaded mainline Android app also works perfectly fine on my Firestick (I have it there for AV1 playback and the aac 7.1 problem).  None of my friends/family have messaged me today with problems so it appears only I have this issue.  To be clear, the App that I downloaded from the Official Amazon App Store is giving me this error.  The sideloaded works fine, and all my other devices work fine.  

Thanks a bunch.

5 minutes ago, RanmaCanada said:

License Expired

We need to refresh the license for this app that you own, so please try again.

That message is not coming from us so it must be coming from Amazon.  However, I'm not even sure to what license they are referring there.

Have you tried re-installing?

RanmaCanada
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

That message is not coming from us so it must be coming from Amazon.  However, I'm not even sure to what license they are referring there.

Have you tried re-installing?

No I have not tried re-installing the app.  I do not know if it would make a difference.

Just tried uninstalling and reinstalling and on reinstall it tells me "App not found.  The app you are looking for could not be found"

umm this is not good haha.

RanmaCanada
3 hours ago, ebr said:

You didn't change the region or user on the Fire Stick did you?

No.  In fact I was using it last night before I went to bed.

So it looks like my stick might be borked, I'm not certain as even restoring it gives me this error haha.  If you want you can close this thread, as this is NOT an Emby problem at all, it's an issue with either Amazon services or my stick.  The sideloaded app works fine so I'm not going to press further.  

Thank you EBR for taking the time to look at this thread.

Edited by RanmaCanada
more information.
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
augie754

Just in case anyone else get this, here is what worked for me.

I just had this exact same issue on my FireTV. Licensing error and then uninstall Emby App and then try to reinstall and it said "App not found" - just like above.

It turns out that it was the personal DNS server I'm using. I use Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi for my DNS which will block ads and any other block list you add to it.
I just needed to disable the Pi-Hole filters for 5 minutes and then it found the app and is working now.

I imaging that the Licensing error is some Amazon licensing on all apps through their appstore and my filtered DNS was blocking it. I probably didn't need to uninstall first, just disable the filter and launch Emby again. I'll try that if it happens again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1