QN95B with USB Emby App (bad playback)

Kodi_Newcomer

Kodi_Newcomer

Hello Com,

i have buy me a new tv, its the qn95b. Bevor, i played all my Media over FireTVCube with Kodi and Emby Server. No Kodi on Samsung, but Emby. So i download the latest version from here put it on the usb stick and on my tv, install it and connect to the media Server.

But the playback and visual from the media files not that good, like over firetv cube with kodi und emby addon. The playback always hangs after view seconds, after view seconds it runs. This is happend the hole time. When i look at the Server Dashboard its streaming and not direct play. Is there a way i can play the mediafiles directly like over firetv cube ? When i play from there, i have the info on the Dashboard direct play. This works much better than streaming, i think thats a problem with the server hardware.

By the way, did direct play work with the emby app on samsung ? Or is this tv not powerfull to do this ?

Greet's,

Newcomer

Edited by Kodi_Newcomer

Kodi_Newcomer

Except for the log, my entry should be correct ? Log comes tomorrow, i have to do it again, to collect the right log part.

But for the other quet, direct play like over firetv cube with kodi did not work with the samsung app ? (2022er Model)

FrostByte

Are you trying to play HD audio (TrueHD DTS-HD, etc) or PGS subtitle?  If so, try selecting an audio or subtitle format which is compatible with your TV before clicking Play. 

The transcoding experience on Samsung TVs is always less desirable than other devices.  Otherwise, it will give you a chunk at a time while pausing and restarting throughout the movie.

Kodi_Newcomer

The video i tested was DD5.1. The TV can play this, i mean DTS also. He can play Atmos to. But the audio goes over eARC to my AV Receiver.

App Version 1.5.7.   So is there a way Samsung can direct play, or always my mediaserver must do the work and stream the video to the tv?

Edited by Kodi_Newcomer

FrostByte

The app can't do any flavor of DTS.  Apps running on a Samsung also won't passthrough unsupported codecs, so eARC doesn't help.  The TV still needs the codec to passthrough formats like DTS, which Samsung hasn't supported since 2018.

Your user's manual should have a chart like the one in the link.  If it's not in that chart the app will request the server to transcode.  No, the TV/app will not transcode, just the server.

DD+ Atmos is supported.

https://developer.samsung.com/smarttv/develop/specifications/media-specifications/2023-tv-video-specifications.html

*The DTS Audio codec is not supported on 2023 TVs. For smooth playback, if a DTS Audio track is part of your manifest, make sure other audio tracks can be selected.

That comment pretty much applies to any unsupported audio though.  If it's not in that chart then the server will transcode and playback will be choppy.  Same goes with unsupported subtitle formats such as PGS.  I believe the only reason they mention DTS is because Samsung at one time did support DTS, they no longer do.

The bitrate also has a lot to do with it.  Transcoding 4K remuxes with HD audio will produce a lot more buffering effect than lower bitrate material.  I just get in the habit of selecting codecs which the TV supports for the smoothest playback.

Once you upload your logs though it will be easier to tell what's going on.

Edited by FrostByte