Roku forgetting server address after App restart

jmgant

jmgant

I'm using the latest Stable on MacOS and a Roku TV. Suddenly, the Roku app forgets the server after the app closes and reopens. I must manually add it each time I open the app.

The only difference is a slight change to our network. I was using Emby on a 192.168.4.x range. After upgrading our router, we are using 10.31.9.x (forgive my lack of better CIDR notation). The server has a static IP. All traffic is local.

Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance.

Hi, does the server dashboard display the correct local and remote addresses?

This happens if you leave either the "Select Server" or "Select User" screens by pressing HOME at that point to exit the app. When you press HOME you haven't logged in technically if you are on on either of those screens. So you are left in this half signed in state. Once that happens it can become stuck in this state since it is remembering.

I can safely assume you are not using Emby Connect and are using Skip and entering the server details manually since you mention it "forgot".

You have "Remember me" enabled. It is remember the half-logged in state. To fix this you can disable that "Remember me" setting just for this moment to discard whatever it cached that no longer needs to be. To do this, you need to disable "Remember me" in settings. Then you need to use "Sign Out" (pressing Back on the Home screen) and not use the Home button to exit the app. Once you have signed out with remember me off you can start the app again. Then enter all the info again and wind up on the Home screen. Once there  enable "Remember me" again. Then use "Sign Out" from the Home screen afterwards. Now enter the app again and it should remember everything.

The Roku doesn't have an OnDestroy() routine that runs when you exit the app. So when you use the Home button it rudely cuts off the Empy app immediately (kill -9 Emby). Pressing Home on the remote when on the Home screen is always safe to do. Pressing Home from any navigation (no video/audio playing) screen other than a login screen is safe to do. Pressing the Home button is not safe while the video player is showing or audio is playing (the app cannot signal the server to stop streaming) or when any login screen is showing (the app will cache a half logged in state).

There is no way to "trap" or otherwise block the use of the Home button when in the Emby app. Roku has designed that button as an Escape hatch for users to immediately return to the Roku homescreen.

Edited by speechles