Is it possible to save a list of servers?

bigalpha

bigalpha

Seems like the 'select server' page only contains the last server entered.  

For example, the server host is the IP when it's on the LAN and a domain for when I'm not.  Sure would like to able to select from one of two servers instead of re-entering their details each time.

Did I miss a setting somewhere for this?

lorac

I have a regular and test server both of which show up. When I'm away I don't need to reneter my server details as emby knows when to connect lan vs. wan. 

Perhaps it's something with how your server is configured.

Hi, the app manages multiple servers but it’s going to merge URLs that belong to the same server? Why do you think you need to enter the URL each time?

bigalpha

Here's my STR:

1. Connect device to wifi
  2. Connect emby to server using LAN IP
  3. Turn device wifi off 
  4. User > Change Server
  5. The remote server (my emby.domain.com) is not shown
  6. Click Add Server and enter domain (emby.domain.com) and port
  7. Authenticate into the app successfully

When I go from off-the-wifi to on-the-wifi, and click 'change server', it did show the LAN IP.  It just doesn't show the remote host when I'm off-wifi.

Hopefully that makes sense.

1. The remote server (my emby.domain.com) is not shown

What is shown?

bigalpha
32 minutes ago, Luke said:

What is shown?

It shows my LAN IP.  At this point, I gotta re-enter the server (emby.domain.com) by hand.

lorac

Why are you changing servers though? When you roam onto a different network make sure that you close and then reopen emby. 

53 minutes ago, bigalpha said:

It shows my LAN IP.  At this point, I gotta re-enter the server (emby.domain.com) by hand.

Why do you think you have to do that? It is showing your LAN IP because that was the last address used to connect to the server, but it does keep track of the remote address as well.

bigalpha
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Why do you think you have to do that? It is showing your LAN IP because that was the last address used to connect to the server, but it does keep track of the remote address as well.

Because when my device is disconnected from the LAN and I want to connect to my server remotely, the app doesn't provide me the saved server that has my domain in it.  

seanbuff
27 minutes ago, bigalpha said:

Because when my device is disconnected from the LAN and I want to connect to my server remotely, the app doesn't provide me the saved server that has my domain in it.  

Why you don't your just always connect using the remote domain name? Most modern routers should support NAT loopback and resolve to your LAN IP when you're local. No need to switch when at home and remote.

bigalpha
8 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Why you don't your just always connect using the remote domain name? Most modern routers should support NAT loopback and resolve to your LAN IP when you're local. No need to switch when at home and remote.

I'm not familiar with NAT loopback - but I just tried to access my domain from my LAN and it failed.  I did have to set up DDNS to keep my domain aligned with my current external LAN. Could that be why?

bigalpha
On 5/14/2023 at 6:06 PM, lorac said:

Have you tried what I suggested above?

Yeah, I just tried that:

1. Connect to LAN and authenticate into app
  2. Turn off wifi
  3. Force close the emby app
  4. Open emby app
  5. LAN IP is listed in host field

lorac

Do you have the external domain field filled in under network?

On LAN, I just uninstalled emby, reinstalled, it opened directly to the list of users, I signed into mine, closed the app, turned off wifi, reopened the app and it opened to my profile. 

At no point did I have to enter any details to connect to my server. 

bigalpha

Yah, I have my domain in the External Domain field.  I can also connect to it remotely so I know the config at least works in that regard.

I followed your process and I was still provided the LAN IP and not the remote domain. So I cleared the app cache and there was no change in behavior.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app while on LAN.  I opened the app, connected to LAN IP and that works.  Force close the app, kill wifi and open app. I'm still presented with the LAN IP instead of the remote domain.  

pretty puzzling.

11 hours ago, bigalpha said:

Yah, I have my domain in the External Domain field.  I can also connect to it remotely so I know the config at least works in that regard.

I followed your process and I was still provided the LAN IP and not the remote domain. So I cleared the app cache and there was no change in behavior.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app while on LAN.  I opened the app, connected to LAN IP and that works.  Force close the app, kill wifi and open app. I'm still presented with the LAN IP instead of the remote domain.  

pretty puzzling.

Have you tried just ignoring what it says and just clicking on the server?

bigalpha
4 hours ago, Luke said:

Have you tried just ignoring what it says and just clicking on the server?

Yeah, I just tested this again.  I turned off wifi, force closed the app, reopened.

LAN IP is in the saved server field.  I clicked it, and the app worked for a minute or so then gave me a 'connection failure' error.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 6:20 PM, bigalpha said:

Yeah, I just tested this again.  I turned off wifi, force closed the app, reopened.

LAN IP is in the saved server field.  I clicked it, and the app worked for a minute or so then gave me a 'connection failure' error.

@bigalphawhat version of Emby for Android are you running?