DVD rip to AV1 playback not showing correctly when direct play

BrandonYoung

BrandonYoung

Playing an AV1 file on my  Acer Chromebook Spin 513 (CP513-2H)

The video looks garbled when playing.  It is direct playing from the server, not transcoding.  

using Emby for Android 3.3.04

This screenshot below shows the video doesn't look right.  The vobsub softsubs show ok, though. 

image.thumb.png.10e2024960d174acc0dcf7a659e4e21e.png

Here is the same file playing back in Windows.  The video shows fine.  So, it looks like the file is OK, just something about how Emby for Android is playing it.

Here is image.png.ff0d45c4f5481e8fb786aab2408b00f9.png

embyserver.txt

BrandonYoung

I switched my Downloads to the external folder, and I was able to download and play the file using VLC

Another note, it looks to be just my DVD rips, my 1080p Blu-rays  converted to AV1 are playing just fine.

So, it looks like it has something to do with the lower 480p resolution file,  I re-ripped an episode, upscaling it to 720p and the video showed  properly.

• Thanks 1

BrandonYoung

Another note, I think it also  might have something to do with the Android ARCVM that Google uses to run the new Android 11 on my Chromebook.  It recently updated, and I remember the videos playing okay before the update.  Before it was on Android 9 using  ARC++

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
BrandonYoung

Have you been able to replicate this issue? Or find any idea of the cause?

The video is looking worse. I just see a bunch of lines.  I can't make out any details of the picture at all now. 

My current Emby for Android version is 3.3.29

Still running Android 11 on the Chromebook Acer Chromebook Spin 513 (CP513-2H), which is ARM based

The subtitles show clearly as they are the DVD vobsubs, not burned into the video.

Screenshot 2023-10-18 3.19.56 PM.png

BrandonYoung

updated to emby for Android 3.3.40

AV1  480p video still showing lines instead of a clear picture.

attaching screenshot with stats for nerds to show it is Direct playing AV1 with subtitles, not transcodingScreenshot2023-10-2312_25_16PM.thumb.png.485a8941d566d5f06ee6c928406be6c2.png

• 2 weeks later...

OK, we're looking into this. One thing I can say is that the video player we're embedding (exoplayer), currently has heavy development activity occurring related to av1 so that's a good sign that improvements will be coming. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
BrandonYoung

@Luke

Has there been any progress on this issue?

Still seeing garbled  video output from 480p AV1 from the Emby Android app on my Chromebook. The playback looks fine on my phone, though.

Both report playing as Direct Play, not transcoding.  Emby app is Emby for Android 3.3.77 on both my phone and Chromebook

I have attached the video file for your testing.

Macross - S01E01.mkv