Live TV Quality reduction?

Zeke66

Zeke66

Hey folks,

I got live tv set up and working, but noticed this evening despite the service provider having almost all content as 1080p or higher, everything is being downgraded to 720p for some reason. Is emby causing this? 

it is being run through IPTVBoss first to reduce channels and remove VOD content. 

I can’t see anywhere on there where the quality would be downgraded. Emby doesn’t provide the option for anything higher than 720p, and on some, 480p. Not sure why this is. 

Hi, in this example the original video stream was being passed through untouched. Why exactly do you think it was being downscaled?

BillOatman

Also, "service provider having almost all content as 1080p or higher". How do you know this?  If you have a look at the same streams on something direct like TiviMate and on Emby, are they different?

Zeke66
15 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, in this example the original video stream was being passed through untouched. Why exactly do you think it was being downscaled?

50 minutes ago, BillOatman said:

Also, "service provider having almost all content as 1080p or higher". How do you know this?  If you have a look at the same streams on something direct like TiviMate and on Emby, are they different?

So I tested two different services, both of which being run through IPTVBoss to filter the channels prior to going through Emby (It appears Emby is still unable to sort the VOD content properly so it winds up being 10’s of thousands of ‘channels’. In Emby I haven’t seen a single stream above 720p but when testing the same link in the Smarters IPTV Player I am seeing 1080p and above. 

I unfortunately can’t understand the emby logs so I wasn’t sure if it was emby downgrading it or the filtering service. Appreciate you guys confirming it!

• Agree 1

BillOatman
23 hours ago, Zeke66 said:

So I tested two different services, both of which being run through IPTVBoss to filter the channels prior to going through Emby (It appears Emby is still unable to sort the VOD content properly so it winds up being 10’s of thousands of ‘channels’. In Emby I haven’t seen a single stream above 720p but when testing the same link in the Smarters IPTV Player I am seeing 1080p and above. 

@ebr This seems odd to me.  I know my son remotely has been able to watch 4K content on his TV with Roku embedded (didn't work great but I blame the Roku).  So are there client or server side settings that might restrict this?

Zeke66
54 minutes ago, Luke said:

Why do you think Emby can’t sort it properly?

When I initially loaded the provider into emby without any pre filtering, it reads every piece of VOD content as a channel. It was 70,000+ channels listed when I let it run and load for 2 days. 

gillmacca01
On 5/15/2023 at 5:21 PM, Zeke66 said:

When I initially loaded the provider into emby without any pre filtering, it reads every piece of VOD content as a channel. It was 70,000+ channels listed when I let it run and load for 2 days. 

I see the same thing with my provider. I presumed (maybe wrongly) that Emby couldn't tell the difference between a live TV channel and a VOD

On 5/15/2023 at 11:45 AM, BillOatman said:

@ebr This seems odd to me.  I know my son remotely has been able to watch 4K content on his TV with Roku embedded (didn't work great but I blame the Roku).  So are there client or server side settings that might restrict this?

That might restrict what exactly?

Zeke66
7 hours ago, gillmacca01 said:

I see the same thing with my provider. I presumed (maybe wrongly) that Emby couldn't tell the difference between a live TV channel and a VOD

That was my experience. Other players have seperate content holders for live tv, movies and series. Emby loads it all into one and it seems it can’t organize it properly. 

any plans for a future fix to this @Luke?

8 minutes ago, Zeke66 said:

That was my experience. Other players have seperate content holders for live tv, movies and series. Emby loads it all into one and it seems it can’t organize it properly. 

any plans for a future fix to this @Luke?

Why do you think it can't organize them properly?

Zeke66
1 hour ago, Luke said:

Why do you think it can't organize them properly?

Hey @Lukeyou already asked man I answered it a little further up the post 👍

cheers

BillOatman
2 hours ago, Luke said:

That might restrict what exactly?

I responded to this:

In Emby I haven’t seen a single stream above 720p but when testing the same link in the Smarters IPTV Player I am seeing 1080p and above. 

So the restriction would be to limit to 720p.

Zeke66
On 18/05/2023 at 14:14, Zeke66 said:

Hey @Lukeyou already asked man I answered it a little further up the post 👍

cheers

Hey @Luke

Just checking in if there happens to be any update here. I've confirmed with TiViMate that the streams coming from the provider are indeed mostly 1080p, yet they are still being processed in Emby at 720p.