Subtitles : style / colour ?

Clayzee
Go to solution Solved by Clayzee,

Clayzee

Hello 🙂

I currently have the following Emby setup :

• server : Emby on Synology DSM7 ( transcoding disabled )
  • client : Apple TV 4k (3rd gen)

NB : transcoding being disabled on the server side, the client always uses DirectPlay

Currently, playing media(s) with PGS subtitles result in these being displayed in a grey color, without any background ( making them hard to read )

-> I would to change the subtitles colour and/or style : how can I achieve that ? 🤔

Thanks beforehand for any help !

rodainas

PGS subtitles are image based extracted from Blu-ray, those aren’t customizable.

The customizable format is srt (subrip).

You need to convert those to srt (expensive cpu process) or simply just download a new srt file from any subtitle provider site (recommended).

Clayzee
26 minutes ago, rodainas said:

PGS subtitles are image based extracted from Blu-ray, those aren’t customizable.

Oh. But ... why is the rendering totally different from one client to another then ? 🤔

eg : I get grey subitles on Emby, while playing the same media on VLC gives white subs with black borders

15 hours ago, Clayzee said:

Oh. But ... why is the rendering totally different from one client to another then ? 🤔

eg : I get grey subitles on Emby, while playing the same media on VLC gives white subs with black borders

Are you sure they’re pgs? They’re probably sub rip. Can you please provide an example?

Clayzee
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you sure they’re pgs? They’re probably sub rip. Can you please provide an example?

I confirm they are PGS :

General
Complete name                            : /run/user/1000/gvfs/smb-share:server=nas,share=video/tv-shows/Frozen Planet II ( 2022 )/S01E04 frozen south.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
[...]

Video
[...]

Audio
[...]

Text
ID                                       : 3
ID in the original source medium         : 4768 (0x12A0)
Format                                   : PGS
Muxing mode                              : zlib
Codec ID                                 : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                            : Picture based subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Duration                                 : 50 min 55 s
Bit rate                                 : 30.2 kb/s
Count of elements                        : 874
Stream size                              : 11.0 MiB (0%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : No
Forced                                   : No
Original source medium                   : Blu-ray

Thinking about what @rodainaswrote, I think I understand what's going on : it might have to do with thefact that the HDR signal isn't passed ( Apple TV + .mkv ....... 🙄 ) to the TV that produces that weird greyish rendering instead of the expected white colour.

• Solution
Clayzee

I ran another test with a non-HDR video media and PGS subtitles : the colour / style is rendered as expected

So, the root cause for this greyish subtitles' colour seems to be the Apple TV not passing the HDR signal when playing an .mkv file

• Thanks 1