Any update on the "too many subtitles causes playback issues" problem?

Leader2light

Leader2light

Can emby transcode to fix this issue or do you still have to remove them manually?

SamES

If the file is transcoding then the server should manage this, but if it is DirectPlay you still need to remove them manually

• 3 weeks later...
kavika13

I have a synology device for the server. Updated my OS to 7.2, and installed the latest emby beta (4.8.0.37). Restarted, of course.

I'm still seeing the issue. But I'm also still seeing direct playback. My understanding is it would have to transcode to solve it (?).

I don't think my device is really capable of doing high bitrate transcodes. It wasn't clear if this solution would be able to do more or less a remux, or if it actually had to transcode/bake in the subs to get it to work (?).

My understanding is it would have to transcode to solve it (?).

Correct yes. So if your server isn't capable of the transcoding, and if your TV can't handle the direct play, then you may want to look at converting the files to strip out some subtitles.

• 3 weeks later...
smecerb1

Samsung TVs has similar issues when playing mkv with more than 30 streams - it has picture and sound glitches. Plex handles this automatically by transcoding - I think that they strip out all subtitles which are not used on the fly. This is life saver with most of new film/series. Emby has better transcoding than Plex by my opinion (transcoding DTS-HD or True HD to AC3 works like charm on Emby, but Plex has big issues when skiping forward/backward and even chrashes). Could you implement this type of transcoding for Samsung TVs - striping out unused subtitles? This is not CPU intense task, I think.

• 2 months later...
Douglas_D

Chiming in with another data point. I ran into this issue with files that had 24+ subtitles while trying to watch through the web interface on Google Chrome. Stripping out the subtitles is a good workaround for now.

An alternative workaround if you're trying to get watching and don't want to mess with MKVVToolNix or something is to adjust the transcoding quality settings down (chose something like 720p 480kbps and then back up to something reasonable for your screen after the stream started. Not sure if that is helpful for Luke & co in potentially tracing down an issue.