Still No Ebook Reader after YEARS

Guest EmbyEbookReader
Go to solution Solved by GrimReaper,

Gilgamesh_48

For me this feature just needs to be more "basic." 
All I really need is the ability to read and display, with just a few options like font size, txt files. The ability to display pdfs and docs would be somewhat nice but, for me, mostly unnecessary. All my books and documents, with few exceptions, are in txt formats.

However I understand that my needs do not match other's and therefore I should not ask for what I think I need if it takes away from the core development and maintenance at all. That is eBooks and txt and doc and pdf files should be supported outside Emby or, at most, by a plugin. The main code of Emby should not be burdened with the task of supporting a very limited use function like displaying books on a TV screen.

There are already numerous diverse programs that do that very well and it is unnecessary for Emby to leap into that dogpile.

I am not saying that no one would use Emby to read books I am saying that I believe that the use case is so miniscule the it does not make sense for Emby to support "books" in any form. I used to want Emby to handle audiobooks but I have found that there are so many really good to great programs, for virtually every platform, that handle audiobooks very very well that even that is redundant at best. 

There is a understandable desire for a "one program" solution for everything but it is VERY unlikely that a program trying to everything well will also succeed in doing everything well. 

But, as is always the case, Emby will do what Emby wants to do and the only opinion that matters is Emby's. I just hope Emby does not introduce apparently unrelated bugs as they try to become:

"The one program to rule them all
"The one program to find them
"And in the darkness bind them 
"In the land of TV where all the darkness lies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Bingegang

I just came to ask if there's any progress with ebook reader? Is there anybody working on it? Thanks. I would really like to know

Houfino
23 minutes ago, Bingegang said:

I just came to ask if there's any progress with ebook reader? Is there anybody working on it? Thanks. I would really like to know

No...Admin doesn't want to make a book for emby for several years...

the best program is Kavita

Kavita

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
rguinn829
On 1/6/2024 at 10:49 AM, Houfino said:

No...Admin doesn't want to make a book for emby for several years...

the best program is Kavita

Kavita

This is not ture if you read above they have on in the works but its low prority as they are working on a other items. I using Jellyfin and Kavita but would love to dump them for emby solution for a one app experance and reduce my server overhead

• Agree 1

Houfino
On 1/15/2024 at 10:38 PM, rguinn829 said:

This is not ture if you read above they have on in the works but its low prority as they are working on a other items. I using Jellyfin and Kavita but would love to dump them for emby solution for a one app experance and reduce my server overhead

Unfortunately true 🙂 🙂

I will explain you simple..If it has a low value, then the admin should have worked normally for Emby because of the book.....I don't care anyway..I'm glad I have a kavity and I'm satisfied 100% :-)...

Edited by Houfino

• 2 weeks later...
Daniel R. Mebs

Can any developer tell me if there is any chance of adding the feature in the near future?

HI, yes more development with books is planned for future updates. Thanks.

Drkanf

Commenting to be kept informed off this much apreciated evolution to this AWESOME Media Server 😛 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Nostradamus1973

Good morning Everyone,

I wish I read that this feature is just here for looks, kinda like nipples on a (genetic)male; I gotta say they look great sitting in my library, I just can't sample what's inside. lol

Luckily I'm running JF, and I can hop over there if I need to read something.

Personally, I love Emby and it would be my pageant pick every year, but, not having this feature when JF does, leaves an open,  and easy hole to exploit from competitors by pointing this out. Given that something like a PDF reader is probably simple compared to the many intricate complexities that Emby currently handles already, it just takes away from that "Ready to Go" feel. I know the Emby Team works very hard and puts foot-to-buns when needed, and I'm well aware of how triage works, but, it would be nice to lock this down.

Plus, having this feature may bring a completely new class of Emby users, I know lots of people that prefer books over moving pictures.

Thanks for hearing me out, have a nice day everyone.🙂