Projector portable fixed frame screens vs portable floor rising screen

ng4ever

ng4ever

Hear me out. I know this is not a support forum but for the world of media which kind of screen is better with a normal (long distance) projector ?

Does screen material make a huge different too for the world of media? (Room is mostly completely dark if not at least 90% maybe even 95%.)

What is the advantages and disadvantages of each ? Anyone ever owned both or tried both in person ?

If you need to know what I am talking about here is 2 picture examples. Both around 120"

Portablefoldingprojectorscreen.jpg.0de9931e05ce12accaac9077533b8297.jpg

Floorrisingscreen.webp.9c7916439c9253da6e9a46f1ed39cc9e.webp

If this topic is not allowed please lock or delete thanks. Sorry.

Edited by ng4ever

6 hours ago, ng4ever said:

Does screen material make a huge different too for the world of media?

Yes but the opinions are as varied as you will find on audio.  The style is unimportant (as long as both will stretch flat).  It is all about the material.

if it is in a completely dark room, some people prefer a gray material for blacker blacks.  Realize that no projector can project "black".  It is just projecting nothing (or close to nothing) onto whatever screen surface you have and it is just our imperfect eyes and perception that then interpret that as black.  YMMV.

I'd go to AVSForums and spend some time reading in their screen forum.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
tedfroop

Apart from that - I have forced air heating in my home.  Not the best for pull up/down/out screens, especially with high efficiency furnaces as they really move air.

Edited by tedfroop

tedfroop

Pull up - but is for home movies - still it amounts to the same thing.  It's part of the experience to have the screen waving around for home movies but would be annoying for TV and other movies.

ng4ever
52 minutes ago, tedfroop said:

Pull up - but is for home movies - still it amounts to the same thing.  It's part of the experience to have the screen waving around for home movies but would be annoying for TV and other movies.

Do you know which brand and model? Curious.

Gilgamesh_48

The last time I needed a projector screen, I no longer use one but I did for quite a while, I simply got a a couple of thin plywood 4X8 foot sections and used basic carpentry to put them together. Then I cut the resulting piece to the size/shape I needed and bought "projector" cloth (I used a very light gray) large enough to cover it and attached it to the prepared plywood.

I used hooks and loops to attach the result to the wall and I had a very good screen and I think the total cost was about 15 or 20 dollars. The screen was VERY sturdy and no amount of fans could make even a ripple.

But that was about 15 years ago so it could be very different now.

When I was not using the screen I had some, actually quite pretty, drapes that could easily be closed to cover it.

Note: If you have the skill you can make the seam in the plywood invisible and use projector grade paint to cover it. I could have done that but my painting skills are not good enough.