Thoughts please… tv and soundbar

Cheesegeezer

Cheesegeezer

So I’ve done a lot of research and i think im settled on this setup the “Snug Room”.

TV— LG G3 OLED 55”

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-oled55g36la?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr82iBhCuARIsAO0EAZw0bryGZSNqaSXHdjERTt0r5m0AiZ2LS4OzLV7nYrlI-9xmhFopkfYaAiBUEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Soundbar - Samsung Q990

https://www.smithstv.co.uk/samsung-hw-q990b-black-700008219.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwr82iBhCuARIsAO0EAZypWtTjh_yl-1o5ESzlh-5tOtR1N2huz3IRpEaxCf-A3r5cfWiVDh8aAm6AEALw_wcB

i just wanna know experiences of anyone that has these or one of these(even last years models) and let me know what your experience is and thoughts and any gotchyas!!

cheers

The q990b is phenomenal. If your snug room means small then you might not get as much out of compared to a room that is well suited for it, but even still it produces great sound.

• Thanks 1

Cheesegeezer
5 minutes ago, Luke said:

The q990b is phenomenal. If your snug room means small then you might not get as much out of compared to a room that is well suited for it, but even still it produces great sound.

Thanks Boss!! Yeah the snug is wide about 30ft at least and 20ft front to back. I have a pioneer AVR set up in there with a 7.2 setup and it handles anything i throw at it at reference level. I think it definitely is the choice for the soundbar! 

thanks for your endorsement hahhaa 😂 

rbjtech

OLED ftw - In a proper dark room, the contrast stills blows away other LCD/QLED technology... (lights the touch paper and stands well back ...) 😆

Soundbar is gonna sound poor compared to your discreet AVR - why change the Pioneer ?   Does it not have object based Atmos/DTS-X ?

If the Pioneer has 7.1 pre-in - then you may be able to get just a Atmos/DTS-X pre-amp and get 5.1.2 without issues from it ?

Paired with a Shield Pro of course for HD Audio ... 

Edited by rbjtech

Cheesegeezer
31 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

OLED ftw - In a proper dark room, the contrast stills blows away other LCD/QLED technology... (lights the touch paper and stands well back ...) 😆

Soundbar is gonna sound poor compared to your discreet AVR - why change the Pioneer ?   Does it not have object based Atmos/DTS-X ?

If the Pioneer has 7.1 pre-in - then you may be able to get just a Atmos/DTS-X pre-amp and get 5.1.2 without issues from it ?

Paired with a Shield Pro of course for HD Audio ... 

hahha Rich… on lighting paper 😂 

i love my discreet system, i have 2 custom BK subs too 8” and 12”. I love the system and it rocks. Pumping out of an LX81 AVR.

heres the crazy bit, my bedroom is bigger than the snug, so i woukd put this in the snug to replace existing… said system… or put new system in bedroom. 

i need a tech spend, haven’t treated myself for about 6yrs so i feel im due some nice tech that makes me happy.

• Like 1

rbjtech

lol ok - I think you'll be very disappointed in ANY soundbar vs a decent discreet system.  The LX81 has more RMS power (190W..lol) in one channel that the Q990... 🤪

For the bedroom, then yea the Q990 is probably overkill - but not sure if you wanna scratch the Atmos/DTS-X itch on your main system - if you do, then please don't do it via a soundbar ... 🙄

CBers
46 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Couldn't agree more 👍

3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

lol ok - I think you'll be very disappointed in ANY soundbar vs a decent discreet system.  The LX81 has more RMS power (190W..lol) in one channel that the Q990... 🤪

For the bedroom, then yea the Q990 is probably overkill - but not sure if you wanna scratch the Atmos/DTS-X itch on your main system - if you do, then please don't do it via a soundbar ... 🙄

The Q990B has more than enough power to fill a very large room, and the number of discrete channels that it has I think helps set it apart.

• Like 1

rbjtech
Just now, Luke said:

The Q990B has more than enough power to fill a very large room, and the number of discrete channels that it has I think helps set it apart.

It's not so much the power, it's the sound positioning and separation. The Q990B is obviously top of the line in Soundbars but at the end of the day, it is having to 'bounce' the 11.1.4 sound from a single location in front of the TV and rear upward firing speakers.   Yes you need ceiling speakers and all the grief that brings, but if you have the dedicated room for it (and AVR capable of it) then it's the only real full justice to Atmos/DTS-X imho.   

(plus Dave wants to spend some money, so lets give him options !) 🤣

• Haha 1

Cheesegeezer

Yeah i wanna just have a room and like you say Rich… scratch the atmos itch. If I’m underwhelmed then i still have a great transportable system that isn’t hard wired into the plasterboard lol. 

My 7.2 system is the bomb!! 

• Haha 1

rbjtech
5 hours ago, justinrh said:

I didn't know "11.1.4ch" was a thing.

Dolby Atmos (and DTS:X) is pretty crazy with the number of speakers it can 'position' but while I have no practical experience of a 'soundbar' (+ 2.1 satellite speakers) that can do 11.1.4 ( this means 11 head height speakers, 1 sub and 4 'overhead' speakers ) - I suspect the majority of it is pure marketing BS..

You only need to look at Dolby's own guidelines to see the 'angle' and location of every speaker needs to be set properly.   Yes you can slightly alter the 'angle' of each speaker in the soundbar, but at the end of the day, 9 of them are coming from the same central location.

https://www.dolby.com/siteassets/technologies/dolby-atmos/atmos-installation-guidelines-121318_r3.1.pdf

The sound is then 'matrixed' from the 7.1 source to activate the appropriate speaker.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Thanks 1