Heavy banding / posterization 1080 HEVC content

blipoids

blipoids

I am seeing banding and posterization when playing content with smooth gradients (like anime).

I have tried a number of sources for the same content, all 10 bit, with varying bitrate (up to 3500kb) and all exhibit various degrees of banding when playing on ATV.

I'm attaching a sample of frame rendered by the Emby app on ATV, and one rendered by the native media player of the TV.

TV: LG C2 55

ATV: 4k 128gb

Media info 1: https://pastebin.com/hmrEnzqM

Media info 2: https://pastebin.com/X9bp88fc

7f38620e3e4e1f44af5b2650675ca09a61fadc49.jpeg

e0a82acbfb2a2f64f57a5225dcdadc077c9d1dcc.jpeg

Edited by blipoids

GrimReaper

Are those items DirectPlaying or Transcoding? What is your in-app playback setting, Auto, Native or mpv? Are you observing same behaviour for both Native and mpv players? 

kalg

Hi it's an issuse with mpv player on any hevc codec plex also had this when using mpv player in amazing sight they fixed it , i remember that one version of the apple tv client had this banding fix but caused videos to stutter bad when emby team fix playback issuses the banding come back maybe the dithering part need to work in emby client .. too be fair if you are only have an apple tv and only use .mkv files emby client needs to be dumped and use infuse to cennect to emby server .. or if you have a shield also stick to that for .mkv files and apple tv for only internet streaming sorry to say...

blipoids
53 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Are those items DirectPlaying or Transcoding? What is your in-app playback setting, Auto, Native or mpv? Are you observing same behaviour for both Native and mpv players? 

Allow video transcoding is off for the user. So I suppose there is no transcoding happening.

Using native I only get sound, no image (black screen).

blipoids
2 minutes ago, kalg said:

Hi it's an issuse with mpv player on any hevc codec plex also had this when using mpv player in amazing sight they fixed it , i remember that one version of the apple tv client had this banding fix but caused videos to stutter bad when emby team fix playback issuses the banding come back maybe the dithering part need to work in emby client .. too be fair if you are only have an apple tv and only use .mkv files emby client needs to be dumped and use infuse to cennect to emby server .. or if you have a shield also stick to that for .mkv files and apple tv for only internet streaming sorry to say...

Infuse has the same problem. To be fair infuse is a much more refined player -it also supports dolby vision. I've posted about this on their forum as well. For me it is suprising because hevc has become widely adopted and not supporting it, or having issues playing it back is a bit puzzling. I will try Emby on web OS next to see what goes on there.

Edited by blipoids

kalg

thats the problem with apple tv's for local content with certain container's that are not MP4 (reason why i mentioned infuse is so you can still use emby server for media) , android tv is better for apps when people use local content but also dont matter what everyone uses there is problems across all sorry to say

Edited by kalg