New Setup Advice - Recorded TV

Griffo

Hi All,

I was hoping that some experienced users could help me sort out a media storage structure for Live TV. I'm migrating from a long-term WMC + MyMovies setup that has done us well for 5+ years but can't handle todays challenges.

My setup is as follows:

TV1 -> MediaPortal + MB3 Plugin, Win 8.1 on Intel NUC

TV2 -> Roku

TV3 -> Roku

Overseas Client -> Previously RemotePotato, new TBA (MB3 web client + Argus Scheduler ???)

Server -> 2012R2 with Argus TV, 8 tuners, MB3 Server

I have relatives who are expats who love to be able to watch Australian TV from overseas, so have had years of faithful service from RemotePotato, so I need to replicate that functionality.

Anyway, the challenge i'm having is with organising and sorting LiveTV recordings. My current method is

1) LiveTV is picked up by MCEBuddy, transcoded into MP4, metadata added, and dumped into temp folder in Show\Season\Show-SxxExx-episode.mp4 format

2) The temp folder is monitored by MB3, and moved to the TV library in the appropriate show

The problem I have is that

1) this requires all TV shows to be manually defined in MB3, otherwise the show lives forever in the temp folder

2) MCEBuddy while good is not perfect at getting the correct metdata. When it fails it does not provide any Series/Episode information, but does provide the show name and episode name in the title as well as recorded time and optionally channel

How can I most effectively handle live tv recordings without turning my list of shows into a big mess? I note that if the proper season and episode aren't picked up then the shows are just all shown in the "Shows" screen, not organised into a dumb folder similar to MCE for example.

is there a better way to handle recorded TV? The DVD, BR, and "organised" TV stuff works like a champ, just not recorded TV.

Edited by Griffo

• 3 weeks later...
hunnypuppy

What version of MCEBuddy are you using? If you're using 2.3.14 or older then it has some metadata issues which I believe have been fixed in 2.3.15.

Apparently some of the websites from which it used to get metadata have changed and the older versions no longer work on those sites.

Edited by hunnypuppy