Android Server Signed SSL

bamforp

bamforp

I have Emby server running on an Android TV (Mi Box 3) with http. Is it possible to install a signed SSL certificate on the Mi Box so that I can run under https, and if so, is there a step-by-step guide available.  I have been floundering around for a couple of days trying various approaches but so far no success.

Hi, have you tried configuring SSL in emby server network settings?

bamforp

Yes, I think I have most things figured out apart from how to get a signed certificate onto the Android box? So far I have used NoIP to point a domain name at my router and configured port forwarding for 8096 & 8920 in the router but to get a signed certificate, I need to be able to verify ownership of the server via Certbot or similar (I think) and I have no idea how to do this on an Android box.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 2:14 PM, bamforp said:

Yes, I think I have most things figured out apart from how to get a signed certificate onto the Android box? So far I have used NoIP to point a domain name at my router and configured port forwarding for 8096 & 8920 in the router but to get a signed certificate, I need to be able to verify ownership of the server via Certbot or similar (I think) and I have no idea how to do this on an Android box.

Hi, did you figure this out?

Violet0

To configure SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) for an Android server, you'll need to generate or obtain an SSL certificate and configure your server to use it. Here are the general steps to set up SSL for an Android server:

1. Obtain an SSL Certificate:

• Option 1: Self-Signed Certificate: You can generate a self-signed certificate using OpenSSL or a similar tool. Self-signed certificates are not validated by a trusted certificate authority (CA) and are typically used for development or internal purposes.
    • Option 2: CA-Signed Certificate: Obtain a certificate from a trusted CA. CA-signed certificates are validated by trusted authorities and are recommended for production environments.
  2. Prepare the SSL Certificate:

• If you generated a self-signed certificate, ensure that you have the certificate file (typically in PEM or CRT format) and the private key file (usually in PEM or KEY format).
    • If you obtained a CA-signed certificate, you should have received the certificate file and the private key file from the CA.
  3. Configure the Android Server:

• Identify the server framework or technology you're using in your Android server. This could be Apache, Nginx, Tomcat, etc. Each server technology has different configuration steps, but the general concept is the same.
    • Locate the server configuration file or the SSL configuration section within the server configuration file.
    • Specify the path to the SSL certificate file and the private key file in the server configuration. The exact configuration directive varies depending on the server technology.
  4. Update Android Server Code:

• In your Android server code, make sure to handle HTTPS requests. This typically involves creating an HTTPS server socket and loading the SSL certificate and private key.
    • Implement the necessary logic to handle secure connections and perform any required SSL/TLS configuration.
    • Ensure that the server code is correctly bound to the appropriate network interface and port.
  5. Test the SSL Configuration:

• Restart your Android server to apply the SSL configuration changes.
    • Access the server using an HTTPS URL (e.g., https://your-server-address or https://lunchtimeprediction.com/) from a web browser or a client application to test the SSL connection.
    • Verify that the SSL certificate is trusted and the connection is secure.

It's important to note that the specific steps may vary based on the server technology you're using in your Android server. Be sure to consult the documentation or resources specific to your chosen server technology for detailed instructions on configuring SSL.

Additionally, consider using the latest TLS version and following recommended security practices to ensure a secure SSL configuration for your Android server.